
Today was a Big Day. Now that the land has been secured for the new Twins stadium, the designs of the ballpark were made public. I have been waiting for this for 10 LONG years. Now, I'm not going to get too giddy yet because there is a "small issue" with moving some railroad tracks, so nothing is OFFICIAL. And I fully expect Chief Hiawatha's bones to be discovered while excavating the site, and the land will be declared Holy and untouchable. So, until I see a hole being dug and metal beams being hoisted, I will remain paranoid. However, things are looking good. Even Sid says so.
The Twins unveiled several new designs of the stadium today, and put them on display at the Government Center in downtown Minneapolis. Here are some of those designs. Just the mere fact that there is not a teflon roof over the place is wonderful. And, rumor has it, the seats will actually face the infield, unlike the Metrodome!
The ballpark will be intimate with a 40,000 seating capacity. The design has been compared to Wrigley Field and Fenway Park in size, feel and urban setting. There will also be a "Minnesota feel" with rows of pine trees behind the center field wall and a limestone exterior. Gates will be marked with famous players numbers such as "34, 3, 14 & 29," with life-sized statues of those players near the entrances. There will be many more updates to come. It's off to a great start, however. Ok, I'm a little giddy. Here are some of the other initial designs:
The Twins unveiled several new designs of the stadium today, and put them on display at the Government Center in downtown Minneapolis. Here are some of those designs. Just the mere fact that there is not a teflon roof over the place is wonderful. And, rumor has it, the seats will actually face the infield, unlike the Metrodome!
The ballpark will be intimate with a 40,000 seating capacity. The design has been compared to Wrigley Field and Fenway Park in size, feel and urban setting. There will also be a "Minnesota feel" with rows of pine trees behind the center field wall and a limestone exterior. Gates will be marked with famous players numbers such as "34, 3, 14 & 29," with life-sized statues of those players near the entrances. There will be many more updates to come. It's off to a great start, however. Ok, I'm a little giddy. Here are some of the other initial designs:



13 comments:
outdoor baseball. harkens back to the days when my old man would take me to the old met for games. cannot wait to take my son, who is now 3, to the games. I treasure those memories, as I hope he will too some day.
Tony 8489 - I agree 100%. There is nothing like it. A retractable roof would be nice, but many of the new stadiums that have one "err" on the side of closing it when the temp. drops below 65 or there is a "threat" of rain. I know in Arizona closes theirs if its too hot. After 25 years of watching indoor baseball, I'd rather be outside.
it's outdoors, for heavens sake. let the weather be part of it. I would rather watch a game that is cold and rainy than to be back at the hump. that just goes to show you the jones I have to be outside watching real professional baseball. not some tricked-out two bit ballpark with pigs that bring balls to the pitchers and free massage night. not to mention the locals double-fisting pigs eye, smoking old golds and wearing "spring break 88" tank tops
Hey now. Let's not be bad-mouthing free massage nights. For some, it's for strictly medicinal purposes that we go to get our heart rate up ~ if only for a brief few moments.
jeff - glad to hear that some good news came your way on this front. I'll be praying for a "clean dig" on your behalf.
Gilby - I appreciate your kind words and prayers.
Jeff
Jeff -
Congrats on the new park...it looks beautiful!
I can sense your blood pressure dropping already!
Gilby -
Don't forgot to attend NFL draft festivities at Ray's and Dooley's Sat. 4/28!!!!
I feel conflicted. I envy your new park, but I love Fenway.
jase:
wasn't aware that there was such an event. if in town, I'll try my best to make it. Go Wild!
Gilby-
wait a second...you've never heard of "Draft Day?"
apparently, I still have a lot to teach you!
I think it's kind of ugly. Not sure that "knothole" idea is going to translate very well.
Wait now. I understand that there is a draft day.
That being said, I'm not normally exposed to a day-long event that keeps me posted on the 2 picks we do get during that day and have taken it in via ESPN updates in years' past.
I'm all for spending time in bars but would probably drop in at or about the time time we're "on the clock" to see if we actually pick or are forced to forfeit our pick because of not getting the card to the podium in sufficient time to act on it.
You'll note that my "we" is relative to the Vikes, as I do hold a MN birth certificate (available for viewing at your leisure).
Now you know why my draft day anticipation is somewhat subdued.
I think the Vikings are going to take Brian Cupito with the 7th overall pick. Or a long-snapper.
Post a Comment