Wednesday, April 25, 2007

More thoughts...

You may have noticed that I've been writing lately about "feeling my age." Feeling like Red Forman, not understanding "saggin," etc. I don't know if it's the "BIG 40" or the Zocor or what, but something is there. I think, partly, it's that I am starting to lose touch with youth culture. As I have written, I am particularly put off by the Hip Hop/Rap/Gang culture. Now, it's not odd for one generation to look at other generations in a negative light. For instance, the World War II generation looked at the Hippie culture of the Baby Boomers with much disdain. I'll tell you what, though. I'll take long hair, beads, and naive thoughts about peace and love over the hate and violence of Rap culture any day. And, the hippie music was 1000 times better.

What set me off tonight? Well, a few things. I took my daughter, in her pink tights, over to Arlington High School in St. Paul for dance class. As I neared the High School, the streets seemed to be lined with Hip Hop Hoodlums. As I've always stated, this is not a race thing. It's the culture. Believe me, I saw plenty of Eminem want-to-be's. The look on everyone's face went beyond anger into fright. It seemed to be saying "Mess with me and I'll kick your ass because I'm frightened to be here too." Then, when I returned home, I read this on the Pioneer Press web site:

Officers arrested seven teens at Arlington high school this morning after a feud that police said led to a teen being killed on a Metro Transit bus Sunday boiled over again. Also today, Ramsey County prosecutors charged a St. Paul teen with murder, accusing him of gunning down Earl Freeman, 16, during a melee on a bus. Jerome Pablo Cross, 17, was charged in Ramsey County juvenile court with second-degree murder for Freeman's death on a Route 74 bus in downtown St. Paul. Prosecutors are seeking to have Cross certified as an adult.

Family and friends of Cross gathered outside the juvenile courthouse on East Seventh Street at midday, chanting "Free Ro-Ro," which is the teen's nickname, and holding signs that said, "Innocent."
This morning, police were called about 8:35 about a fight at Rice Street and Arlington Avenue, off school grounds, but near Arlington Senior High School. Police broke up the fight, which was part of an ongoing gang dispute, according to a police report. The fight was a continuation of a "longstanding feud" that figured into the homicide, said Tom Walsh, a police spokesman. Police aren't commenting about what the feud involves and whether it's gang related.

An Arlington High School assistant principal told two of the students involved in the fight to not come to school that day, but one of them showed up at the school at 1495 Rice St. about 9:20 a.m. and brought other students along, said district spokesman Casey Mahon. Officers went to the school and arrested six juveniles on suspicion of trespassing and another student, 18-year-old Erik Terell Jackson, on suspicion of possessing ammunition by an ineligible person. Jackson didn't have a weapon and Walsh didn't comment on what type of ammunition the teen allegedly had.


Nice. Right where my daughter has dance class. Luckily, this is NOT the high school by kids will be attending. Does it really matter, though? These thugs are everywhere, even in rural areas.

I felt a little better, however, when I read the following article by Joe Soucheray. I agree with this 100%, and only wish I could "put my words on paper" like this. Please take the time to read it:

http://www.twincities.com/soucheray/ci_5742935

Amen, Joe. Remember (the "good old days") when scores used to be settled with fisticuffs out in the parking lot? Now, scores are settled with weapons. As long as the Rap/Hip-Hop culture continues to glorify violence, guns, gangs and drugs, we're going to have incidents like what happened on the St. Paul bus. I fully realize there are many other factors that contribute to this violence in society. Parenting (or the lack of it)and poverty are two of these factors. To say these factors lead all people who experience them to violence, however, is a discredit to all of the people who grew up poor, in the inner city, or without parents who don't give in to violence as a way of life.

I don't have any answers here, and I just want my kids to grow up in a world in which they are not intimidated by these thugs and hoodlums. Hip Hop and Rap will probably go the way of other crap forms of "art" and disappear. I hope that whatever replaces it will have a little more positive message. Hell, I'll take a resurgence of disco over this crap.

Peace,

Jeff

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

In a related note, on 60 minutes this past Sunday, one of their stories was about the hip-hop culture, and how one of their big things lately is the culture of "Don't be a snitch". Basically, it used to be common only among criminal types to not talk to the cops and rat on people. Now, however, this mindset is being transferred over to otherwise law-abiding citizens in the hip-hop culture.

For one part of the piece, they interviewed some teenagers, who otherwise seemed like nice kids, who said they'd never snitch on anyone to the cops, no matter what they did, because "that was against the rules". Even for murder, for rape, it doesn't matter.

They even asked a rapper (can't remember which one) what he'd do if there was a serial murderer living next door. He said he'd probably move, but he'd never turn the guy in. He said if he snitched, he'd lose his street cred and his sales would plummet.

The overarching theme was that in many neighborhoods across the country where this mindset thrives, the rule of law basically doesn't exist.

Here's an article from USA today that basically explains the phenomenon.

Anyway, watching it pretty much made me sick to my stomach.

When I was growing up, I didn't want to be known as a snitch either, but that was for stuff like not telling on your buddy for stealing a dollar from his mom's purse. I guess I am getting old.

Jeff said...

Neil - great post. Thanks for including the USA Today piece. I was unaware of the "no snitching rule" among the hip-hoppers. Boy, these guys are mental giants.

I totally agree with you about telling my kids not to snitch on each other for things like "looking at each other weird." When it comes to witnessing crimes, however, snitch by all means.

And to actually have "no snitching" hats and shirts made up. I wonder if these jack-asses realize that makes them stand out to the Police even more than they already do. If I was a cop, the first guy I'd haul in for questioning would be the imbecile with the matching "no snitching" ensemble. It's this type of moronic thinking that keeps people down.

You can tell I feel quite stongly about this.

Thanks again for the comment.

Jeff

tony8489 said...

ok, how about this way of thinking: these folks are already lost. they are fringe cast-offs of a wasted race. something tells me if racism ended by noon on friday that the black folks still might have a little work to do. face this, and accept this: there is nothing you and I can do, until they want to be civilized and contributing members of society. I used to tread a little lightly with shit like this, until I realized that the moral relativism that we have been wallowing in for about twenty years has seen american society circling the drains. Did you see where our tax dollars on now being spent in our public schools to teach kids the " destructive power of whiteness". I mean, what the fuck is that? How do I somehow "not get it"? Am I not "multi culti" enough? no, I guess I am not. Because of my job, I am around more minorities in one week, than any of you are around in one year. by far. Not one time have I ever looked at them as anything but an equal. I mean, why would I. I am starting to ramble, so I am out.

Anonymous said...

Ya really gotta come out of Como a bit more often. Just because someones "sagging" doesn't mean they're about to shoot you for the hell of it... I offer equal time for rebuttal.

Jeff said...

Thank you anonymous. They may not shoot you for the hell of it, but it sure seems like they are looking for a good reason....