This just hit me:Barry Bonds is going to break the all-time Home Run record. This year. 2007.
The baseball record that I thought would stand forever, 755 Home Runs by "Hammerin' Hank Aaron, is going to be surpassed by Barry frickin' Bonds.
Hank Aaron is the picture of class and civility. Aaron, much like Babe Ruth, hit his home runs with God-given skill and plenty of red meat. Ruth threw in some bourbon and cigars, too, but what the hell. Hank Aaron even has a statue dedicated to him at Eau Claire's Carson Park, for God's sakes, where he played one season of minor league ball before being called up to the Milwaukee Braves.
Barry Bonds, currently playing for the San Francisco Giants is reportedly a world-class Jack Ass. The last I heard, Bonds has no statue of himself in Eau Claire, or any other place (maybe he put one up in his own home, you never know). While Bonds is a gifted baseball player, he started as a skinny singles hitter (see above). After years of steroid abuse, however, he turned into the Incredible Hulk and started swatting Home Run after Home Run.
740 of them to date, in-fact.
I got out the calculator, and determined that this leaves 15 home runs to tie Hank Aaron and 16 to break the record. This, friends, may be a sign of The Apocalypse. The Four Horseman are mounting their steeds.
The one thing that I'm interested to see is the public reaction when he hits #756. Bonds better hope that he is at home in San Francisco. If he's someplace like Philadelphia, it could cause a riot. It would be really interesting if it happens in Atlanta or Milwaukee.
Anyway, be sure to reserve 4 tickets for The Horseman of The Apocalypse.
Peace,
Jeff
12 comments:
jeff, could not agree with you more. bonds will get what he has coming to him. and that will be an asterik that the public will always place next to the record. so many people hate this guy that he will never, ever get his due. and that will be his punishment. hollow record, indeed.
off topic here people, but all you readers from eau claire: don't you think that the picture of that fella third down from the xcel center looks like a middle-aged jason rabadoux?
tony8489 - Ha - you are correct! It looks like Cub, too...They are twins.
By the way, I talked to Rabedeaux about a year ago at Hillcrest Country Club. He was in town seeing his Mom. This was right after he got the Assistant coaching job at Marquette. He's put on some pounds!
jase-who are you? by the way, I used to call cub jase in my chemistry class in high school. he would always chuckle at that
Just for the record - that fella third down is Ricky Gervais, a comic genius. He played Manager David Brent in the British version of "The Office." I read an interview with Steve Carell, the Manager in the American version of the show, in which he said he could only watch Gervais' character for about an hour as he was learning the character. He had to turn it off because "if he tried to copy him he would fail miserably." He thought Gervais was that good.
If you have not seen the British version of The Office, run - don't walk - to pick it up. Pure genius.
Jeff
Tony8489 - I'm Jase...who are you?
You seem to be familiar with happenings in eau claire, and perhaps memorial (Jason Rabedeaux)
Did you go to school there?
If so, when did you graduate?
Believe it or not, you know each other!
the blogosphere is a small one!
With the current state of affairs it's getting harder and harder to keep up with What Jeff Thinks, so I thought I would get out of my sick bed and check it out before the next dose of "Vicodin" kicks in.
I couldn't agree more on the Barry Bonds deal but here is one that makes my hair stand up.
MLB, (read Bud Selig), could declare Torii Hunter ineligible for not less than three years, for sending the KC Royals 4 bottles of Dom Perignon in honor of their sweep of the Tigers last fall that allowed the Twins to win the Central Division.
Here is the address of the whole article, http://www.startribune.com/509/story/1139939.html
(one of these days PF or Cuz will have to show me how to do that as a link).
Anyway Bud the Pinhead won't do anything to Barry, but could send Torii away for 3 years, it doesn't seem right.
Oh my the fog just lifted, Bud Selig / Carl Polad, MLB's version of Dumb and Dumber, just came up with the best ever.
By sending Torii away for 3 years he'll be able come back and play centerfield in the new ballpark.
It's brilliant just brilliant.
Well enough of this because your not supposed to operate heavy equipment while taking Vicodin, so back to bed for the Uncle.
Hey, Jeff looks like no worries about BBonds. Check out this link:
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/61081
Thomps: Are you sure it's not just a case of Bonds "growing into his body" like some of us have?
Free - that is an outstanding Onion story (everyone should read it!). Thanks for sending. MLB has credited Hank Aaron with 50 extra "lost" home runs, so he actually has 805! Poor Barry. And he was getting so close...
Gilby -- that is a good point. I remember weighing about 150 back in the Memorial HS days. And then, after I discovered Leinenkugles, I amazingly shot up to about 170 within about six months after college started. Now, for some reason, I'm about 190. Sheer muscle, no question. I bet I could hit a baseball pretty damn far right now....
Jeff
Jeff
Post a Comment