Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Game With Son - Priceless

Every so often, I am lucky enough to attend a sporting event that falls into the category of "I Will Remember For The Rest Of My Life." For me, this category includes the 1980 Kramer to Rashad hail-mail pass at the Old Met that sealed the Central Division for the Vikings, mid '80's North Stars - Blackhawks playoff games, Twins playoff games, and Cal Ripkin's 3000th hit at the Dome. The Wild made also made my list when I attended my first-ever playoff game at the X in 2003, a 5-1 victory over Vancouver in front of a frenzied crowd. Now there is a new chapter to my "Remember Forever" list:

April 17th, 2007. Xcel Energy Center. Game #4 - Stanley Cup Quarterfinals. Wild 4, Ducks 1.

I attended the game with my eldest son, a 5th grader who loves hockey and the Wild. Admittedly, the Wild were in a bad position, down 3 games to 0 against a foe that seemed to be playing at a higher level. The Wild could have laid down for this game, and gotten out the golf clubs for the summer a little early. However, they showed some cahones and came out flying and gave the standing-room only crowd of over 19,000 their best effort of the year. The Wild came out and whipped the Ducks 4 - 1. True, they are still down 3 games to 1, but at least they gave the Ducks something to think about as the series moves back to hockey tradition-rich Anaheim, California.

But, back to the game. The atmosphere in the arena was more like a high school game between bitter rivals. I won't give you the play by play of the entire game, because that is available in any newspaper. What made this game so special is that I was able to experience it with my son, and see the look on his face throughout the contest. It reminded me of the MasterCard commercial:

2 Wild Playoff Tickets: $120
Nachos, pop and a beer: $15
Program: $2
Experience the game with your son: Priceless

I heard my son yell and scream at the Ducks like I've never heard him scream before. Pronger was "The Sasquatch." I heard him yell encouragement to the Wild players. He waved his "Wild Towel" throughout the game and out the window on the car ride home. And, I found out that he really doesn't like refs (don't know where that came from?!). After a Wild goal was disallowed by a mythical "in the crease" penalty (one of the many truly horrible calls in the game) I heard my son chant the following word, in unison, with over 19,000 people:

BULL - SHIT, BULL - SHIT, BULL - SHIT, BULL - SHIT

I have never heard him swear before. If he would said these words at home or at school, I would have been very disappointed, and given him a long-winded lecture. However, at the X with 19,000 other people? I don't see a problem (sorry mom!). Plus, let's face the facts, it was a bull-shit call.


I hope my son can now start his "I Will Remember For The Rest Of My Life" game list and his brother and sister will follow later with their lists. I am proud, however, that we will share this game on our respective lists, and I am part of his life-long memories.

Peace, and Go Wild!

Jeff

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nicely done, Jeff. What a treat.
-Roger