If you were a child of the 1970's, like me, you probably grew up watching "In Search Of." This was the scariest, most freaked-out show in television history, outside of "H.R. Puff "N" Stuff" and "The Facts of Life." As a child, I would watch episodes of In Search Of with bravado by day, and then lay awake at night - terrorized by every little noise. Somehow, UFO's, ghosts and the Loch Ness Monster were not scary at 3:00 in the afternoon. At 3:00 in the morning, however, just about everything that Leonard Nimoy had to say on the day's episode was terrifying. Why, even "In Search of Amelia Erhart" was scary at 3:00 AM. One particular "In Search Of" subject, however, held my attention like no other:
Bigfoot.
After I saw the episode about Bigfoot, I was hooked. I research the subject by checking out books from the library. I saw a movie at The Hollywood Theatre about Bigfoot that had a scene in which herds of Bigfoot (Bigfeet?) attack a cabin by throwing large boulders on the roof. Then, it goes silent, and the campers go out to see what happened (dumb move). The Bigfoot is standing right outside of the door when they open it! Tell me therapy sessions didn't increase for grade schoolers in the mid-1970's after this flick. Along the way, I learned some interesting facts about Bigfoot. Here are some of them:
1. Sightings of Bigfoot, and footprints, go back many centuries in Native American culture. Native Americans refer to the creature as the "Sasquatch." He (or she) is described as an ape-like creature between 7 and 10 feet tall with massive feet - thus the name. When in close proximity, the Sasquatch is reported to have a really terrible smell.
2. Many sightings of "the Abdominal Snowman" have been reported in Tibet, where the creature is known as "the yeti." The Abdominal Snowman is known as "The Bumble" at the North Pole, where he now helps elves put the star on Santa's Christmas tree.
3. Sightings of the Sasquatch have been reported all over the globe, but seem concentrated on heavily wooded areas of British Columbia and Northern California. Closer to home, the Sasquatch has reportedly been spotted near Minong, Wisconsin.
4. Why hasn't there been any dead Sasquatch's discovered? Because they bury their dead. Gotcha!
5. My high-school librarian, Mr. Belka, thought he discovered evidence of a Sasquatch because, while camping, he discovered a dead goat under a rock. I am not quite sure what he meant by that, but I am not kidding about this.
6. There was a guy back in school that we called Sasquatch, but that doesn't really have anything to do with the real creature.
Anyway, what the world needs is actual footage of Bigfoot to become believers. Well, through the magic of YouTube, I can bring you that footage. In 1967, a man named Roger Patterson was searching for the creature in Northern California on horseback, and came across a female Bigfoot. How do I know it was female? Check out the "close up" in last 10 seconds of this clip (I am not making this up). To this day, this film is the most famous Bigfoot footage. Check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a95uEYlqA4o&mode=related&search=
I would like to know what my readers think about this phenomenon. Have you ever spotted a Sasquatch? Do you know anyone who has?? Let me know. I will try not to think about it at 3:00 AM.
Jeff
Sunday, December 17, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Thomps:
While I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of said creature, I do recall D'Puff entering into a housing arrangement during college with a morphed version of man and animal he referred to as "The Bearded One."
That's the best I can do for you.
Enjoying the posts. Jase turned me on to it; especially identified with the Tom Ried and Liffey experience last week. A stirring victory will have that kind of impact on a guy!
Has Art Bell hacked in to JT's blog!??? I need some type of confirmation (perhaps from the peeps that know Thomps best)that JT is such a fan of Bigfoot!
Doctor!
was Chabacca a Sasquatch?
Roger!
Jeff...what the hell - are you back on the pipe?!
That explains it. Its the pipe - not Art Bell.
To be sung to the tune of "Blackbird" by the Beatles.
Sasquatch riding on a motorbike
When he's had a few, man he ain't shy
He'll be up all night
Ripping up lawns on his motorbike.
Riding into town and stealing airplanes
Flying under bridges, the boy's insane.
His mother starts to cry.
But you know that it ain't her to blame.
Big fate last night down at the pool hall
He really knows how to hustle, he's burned them all.
They shaved him bald
Down on the floor of the men's room stall.
refrain:
Sasquatch crimes
Sasquatch crimes.
They'll be locking the doors and boarding their windows in fright.
Now THAT is awesome! Sasquatch songs.
Jeff, did you check out the top 100 albums podcast yet? Curious whether you agree.
I assume this is Tom - yes, I listed to most of the podcast! I really enjoyed their take on the top tunes of the last few decades. Some I agree with, some I find humorous, and some I wish I knew more about (50's/60's). I believe this will be the topic of my next post! Thanks!
Jeff! Vance just told me about a "blonde" bigfoot siting at some park near his house. You should talk to him about it. You crazy sasquatch buffs... See? I CAN actually type in upper and lower case! haaaaaaaa. have a good one. j
Post a Comment