Wednesday, December 13, 2006

A "Restaurant"

I am rather excited because tomorrow my wife and I are going to meet some friends at a place called a "restaurant." I have a vague recollection of these places BC (Before Children). I was rather hazy on what actually goes on in these establishments, so I looked the word up on dictionary.com. The official definition is "an establishment where meals are served to customers." That sounds like McDonalds or Snuffy's Malt shops to me, and eating there can be be a harrowing experience (although the malts at Snuffy's are outstanding). My sister is babysitting the dudes, so they won't even be with us at "the restaurant." I was concerned, so I asked some fellows at work about these places. They said that when people are seated at a restaurant, they are able to converse pleasantly, and even enjoy a beverage while waiting for food, or something called "an appetizer" to arrive. I still don't understand. Who will be asking: "where is the food, when will the food be here, what is taking so long?" Apparently, this whole step in the process is skipped!

I also was informed that when the food arrives, you can eat at a pace that is comfortable. Nobody crawls around the floor under your feet while eating. And - here is the kicker - when you are done you do not throw your plates in the nearest garbage receptacle. Someone who works at the "restaurant" comes to your table, picks up the dishes, and washes them! I am still waiting for the catch in all of this. I find the whole concept beautiful, but rather unnerving. I will let you know how it goes. Our next step is to attend a movie being show at a "theatre."

Wish us luck!

Jeff

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quick question... who's buying whose beer 1st, you or me? ;)

ps... that's the 1st time I've ever used punctuation to the cleverly inform a reader that I'm winking at them (note to self, never do that again).

The Pantless Wonder.

Anonymous said...

pantless wonder...I'm glad you realized your mistake. Please try to keep that to a minimum!