I know many of you are breathlessly awaiting my final four choices for my top albums. In fact, I witnessed a few people hyperventilating into bags, so I figured I better get this one done. I've received some good comments on the first selections along with some comments that I don't know what the hell they mean. That's the way I like it, though. So, here you go music fans. The last 4 "most influential albums" in my life, along with some honorable mentions.
--The Clash, "London Calling" 1979. The late 1970's were dominated by disco and the mellow top 40 sounds of Peaches and Herb, Air Supply, etc. In response to this, punk music was created. Bands like the Sex Pistols, The Jam, & The Ramones popped up with songs averaging about 3 minutes long and not meant for radio airplay. My favorite, however, was The Clash. The Clash has been referred to as "the only band that matters," and I believe that. They were able to blend true punk spirit with with rock, ska and reggae influence. They also were political, which influenced bands like U2. Joe Strummer and Mick Jones were the new Lennon-McCartney in my eyes. Certain albums can be played decades after their release and still sound new. London Calling is one of those albums.
--Nirvana, "Nevermind" 1991: The early '90's were a bleak time on the music scene. Metal hair-bands like Poison and Warrant ruled the scene. I've always wondered, by the way, how bands with bleached-blond hair, lipstick and full make-up were considered manly men. In 1991, however, a band from Seattle came along that changed the music scene forever. These three guys were as loud as any metal band, but could actually write meaningful songs. The songs on Nevermind came at you like a wall of sound. "Lithium, In Bloom, Come As You Are, Smells Like Teen Spirit, etc." made other music at the time seem inconsequential. Obviously, Kurt Cobain did not meet a good end, but his impact on music is indisputable. And, I loved his appearance on that ridiculous MTV show "the headbangers ball," in which he wore a dress. The host asked him why he was wearing a dress, and he said "He wanted to look good for the Ball." I think that show was cancelled a few weeks later.
--David Bowie, "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars" 1972: Once again, I can not claim that I listened to this when it was released in 1972 because I was five. I started listening to Bowie as a freshman in college. Can you imagine this album coming out in 1972? Mellow, pot-head bands like America were all the rage, and Bowie puts out an album dressed like a spaceman. The first song, "Five Years," is about the earth having five years left in existence. The rest is about a spaceman coming to Earth. And, to top it off, the songs are outstanding. As the back cover states, "TO BE PLAYED AT MAXIMUM VOLUME."
--Bob Dylan, "Time Out Of Mind" 1997: As everyone knows, Bob Dylan wrote some of the most famous and important songs of all time in the 1960's and '70's, and is widely considered "the voice of a generation." A lot of musicians that have been around as long as Dylan are now playing at Mystic Lake. Even Bob himself hit a rough patch in the 80's in which he became kind of a caricature of himself. In 1997, however, Bob Dylan experienced health problems and put out "Time Out Of Mind." I consider this album to be on par with his work in the 1960's. Not exactly uplifting, the lyrics in his songs spoke of a man unsure of his future. He assembled an all-star band that would be at home in a smoky lounge. Dylan reinvented himself, and proved he is as important today as he was forty years ago.
So there you have it, my top ten albums of all time. I put some serious thought into this, and had to include some honorable mentions. Some of these albums almost made the top ten:
Soul Asylum, "Hang Time" 1988: Probably my favorite live band of all time.
The Jayhawks, "Hollywood Town Hall" 1992: Minneapolis alt-country, outstanding vocals.
The Replacements, "Let It Be" 1984: Groundbreaking, both serious and funny at times. Has a Kiss cover on it and a song called "Gary's Got a Boner." How can you not like that?
R.E.M., "Automatic For the People" 1992: When everyone else was loud, R.E.M got quiet. Poignant, insightful lyrics that helped get me through a rough time when my mom was ill.
The Waterboys, "Fisherman's Blues" 1988: I didn't even like this album at first, because I wasn't expecting the shift from rock to traditional Irish music. Upon further listening, it grew on me and turned me on to artists like Van Morrison and The Pogues.
Wilco, "Summerteeth," 1999: An alt-country band "goes Beatles." I like the Beatles, so what the hell.
So there you have it. If I had more time, I'd expand the list to include Spandau Ballet, Kajagoogoo and L'il Kim. But, this 40 year old has to go to bed. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone out there.
Jeff
Friday, December 22, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Thomps...Glad you included "Hang time" - My favorite album. Rememeber when we used to follow them where ever they played?
I'm Surprised "London Calling" was not on your list.
peace out
thomps...sorry. "London Calling" was on the list...missed it.
Jase - those were some good times. Loved the River Falls show with Limby and his Schnapps - Every day's a Holiday!
Great stuff Buttercup,
For me, I tend to gravitate toward the albums that I listend to growing up... not those recognized by the "experts" (I'd imagine that's the case for most).
Here are the albums that come to mind w/o putting much thought into it (in no particular order):
* The Cult - Love
* R.E.M. - Murmur
* The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper
* INXS - Shaboo Shooba
* Green Day - Dookie
* Pearl Jam - 10
* The Replacement - Pleased to Meet Me
* Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes
* Van Halen - Diver Down
* Alice in Chains - Greatest Hits (I know, kinda cheating)
The Pantless Wonder
How about:
Grand Master Flash - The Message
50 Cent - Get Rich Or Die Tryin
AMG - Bitch Betta Have My Money
Two classics and a future classic!
Ha Ha!
What about the Chipmunks Christmas Album?
Dear Paul F:
Thank you for the comment. While I am sure that AMG's "Bitch Betta Have My Money" is an introspective, heartfelt look at the world we live in, I have decided not to add it to my list.
Jeff
Ok, finally I can get with you on a few of these, especially Nirvana and REM.
Is it bad that I didn't know there was a song called Ziggy Stardust until I saw it on the Guitar Hero game I "got for the kids" for Christmas?
Ronnie-San's current list of 10 most cool albums sitting on the front seat of my truck.
DBT- Southern Rock Opera
Husker Du- Zen Arcade
Sonic Youths- Daydream Nation
Pavement- Wowee Zowee
Neil Young- Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
The Jazz Butcher- A Scandal In Bohemia
Gang of Four- Entertainment
Meat Puppets- Meat Puppets II
Minutemen- Double Nickels on the Dime
Yo La Tengo- New Wave Hot Dogs
and Slayer is still the only metal band that matters.
Post a Comment