Friday, December 22, 2006

The "Game."

I now have more fodder for my Minnesota Viking history book that I am working on. You know the one - "...And There Is A Flag on the Play, A History of the Minnesota Vikings." I witnessed a game last night that set football back forty years. Last night, the Vikings managed three first downs in an (alleged) NFL football game against the Packers and lost 9 to 7. Three first downs. What is this, 1972? Whenever I think I've seen a new level of ineptitude, the Vikes throw me another bone for the book. And what is even more frightening, the Vikings were winning the game with a minute and a half left. That is when Green Bay kicked a 44-yard field goal to put them up by two points, which is an insurmountable lead for the Vikings to overcome. You just knew that field goal was going to be good, even though the rookie Green Bay kicker botched two gimmies earlier in the game. That kick would have been good from 80 yards during Hurricane Katrina. That kick would have been good if the regular kicker was hospitalized and they brought some drunk guy out of the stands (quite a few to choose from) to attempt the kick. That kick was going to be good because that is simply what happens to the Minnesota Vikings - snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

No comments: