NFC North Champs. It wasn't easy. The Vikes beat the Giants B-squad (who is better than a lot of teams A-squads) 20-19 on a 50-yard field goal by Ryan Longwell. A couple of thoughts on the game:1. Once again, the game nearly killed me. It's strange being around 63,000 people who are that nervous. The older the person in the crowd, the more their level of apprehension. Hey, we've been here before. The crowd was into the game, but always expected the worst. After the game-winning field goal, there was more of a sigh of relief than a cheer.
2. T-Jack played just well enough to keep him in the running for the starting QB spot in 2009. He continues to make big mistakes (red-zone interception), but seems to bounce back quicker now than in the past.
3. It turns out that the Vikes didn't really need to win, as the Chicago Bears lost to Houston, which effectively eliminated them from the playoffs. It couldn't happen to a classier set of fans. Sorry Chicago!
4. The so-called "road to the Super Bowl" for the Vikings might look like this: Philadelphia, Carolina and New York. Oh.....................boy.
5. Bringing in kicker Ryan Longwell was money well spent. The guy is money.
6. That's all I've got for now. I'm spent.
Jeff
15 comments:
fun game to watch. as usual, love hate, love hate.
They had the game here cuz of the Giants so I was flipping back and forth between that and the Pats.
I spent plenty of time looking for the most apprehensive guy in the stadium, but you didn't make it on TV bro.
Good win, I'll adopt you guys for the playoffs now that we're out.
tony - no doubt. It changes play to play.
Phil - believe it or not, I was one of the calmer people in that place. I was relativly sober compared to most of the throng, which kept me from losing my mind. Thanks for adopting the Vikes for the playoffs - we could use some of that Boston "good karma!"
I'll have to find a bar/tavern in SoCal to watch the game on Sunday. Wonder if there's a Viking's Bar in SoCal with transplanted Minnesotans.
Paul:
Check this thread for all things Viking.
http://www.purple-pride.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=36
Cheers
Gilby
Hey Paul, it's the playoff so all the games are on regular tv. So it will be on your local FOX station.
I will be in Santa Barbara on Sunday (does that qualify as SoCal?) Hopefully my plane is on time so that I may get to see some of the game.
Gilby, thanks for the link! Unfortunately, the only club in SoCal is the "Southern California Vikings Fan Club" and you have to be a member to watch the game at this pizza joint they meet at because the restaurant is closed during the day (it's like a private party event).
Freealonzo, too bad you're going to be in Santa Barbara. That's two hours away from Anaheim. It would have been nice to watch the game with a fellow Minnesotan...
I guess, I'll be watch the game at the in-law's.
I hope we play the Philly team that tied Cincy, and not the one that beat Dallas yesterday. I am mostly concerned that this game will probably come down to coaching, and we are the team that ran 3 very weird plays in the last minute of the game. Since when is a 50 yard field goal a gimmie?
As well, that Chicago game was far from "over" at the moment of that kick. As a loyal owner of the NFL Sunday Ticket, I can tell you that Chicago was just scoring a TD at the time of that field goal. A missed field goal and a better onside kick was all it would have taken to knock the Vikes out, and it would have been impossible for any of us to be stunned by it (see Jeff's blog from before the game).
I like that Dallas and New England are out of it already. I think they were probably the odds on favorites to meet in the Super Bowl at the beginning of the year.
Oh Dave don't be a hater. The Pats won 11 games and almost got in without Tom Brady, a QB that 0 starts in the NFL and college combined, our starting running back and half the defense injured.
We're not going away, just retooling for next year.
I was sad that the Pats didn't get in the playoffs, though I did enjoy the irony of the Jets getting sent home by Pennington and the Dolphins.
Should be interesting to see which Eagles team shows up on Sunday as well as which Vikings team. I sure hope Big Pat will be ready to go!
Bring on Philly...Really?
While I don't hold much faith for a week 2 match-up, I'll be at peace with the fact that we've actually made the play-off's and have the chance to advance. My weekend is in a tizzy over the prospect of advancing for the first time so many years. And Dools, you know I'll always be there to provide!
Yeah - dools, I don't mean "bring on Philly" as in "we're going to kill them." I meant it as in "hey, we've got another game!"
I agree with Gilby, after some years of futility, it's just nice to win the division (albiet a weak one) and advance to the playoffs.
I'm a little concerned about this blackout scenario, which I will write about on New Years Day,probably with a bit of a hangover. Then again, probably not - Old Man Thompson doesn't stay out too long any more.
Don't speak too soon Jeff.
Keg of Summit waiting for you when you make it over tonight.
CR
CR -
Hangover.
Post a Comment