Of course they lost.
Those of you who thoght the Vikings would win today haven't been paying attention for the last 40 years. You see, it's the 10-year anniversay of the 1998 NFC Championship loss to these same Falcons in this same Dome. For those of you who might not be from around these parts, here is a good Strib article about that game and season. And, for those of you who might not be around these parts and are wondering why Vikes fans are so cynical, these two passages from the aforementioned article sum it up:
For a generation of Vikings fans too young to have experienced the joy of reaching four Super Bowls or the sorrow of losing each one of them,there will always be 1998.It remains, 10 years later, the seminal season for the excitement and discontent of so many. It's the year the Vikings captured and broke the hearts of an entire state, going 15-1 only to be upset by Atlanta 30-27 in the NFC Championship Game at the Metrodome on Jan. 17, 1999.
But, like their forefathers in Purple Pain, today's fan remains a loyal, albeit more cynical, supporter of a team that is back on the doorstep to the playoffs.
AND
Despite the team's late-season surge, a vocal and active e-mailing segment of the Vikings fan base remains cynical and at best skeptical of coach Brad Childress and the team's chances if it makes the playoffs. That's not unusual in a market with this much scar tissue.
"I probably wouldn't say this if I was living in Minnesota," (former Vikings Todd) Steussie said. "But Vikings fans enjoy griping about a loss as much as they do celebrating a win. There's a level of mistrust that's been built in for generations.
"They still want to be fans. But at the same time, they're saying, 'I'm not going to let you guys get my hopes up just to have you burn me again.' "
Radio host Dan Barreiro said right beneath the surface of his callers' discontent is an implied feeling toward the Vikings that, "You guys still owe us, and it won't go away until you win the Super Bowl."
Amen. I am not going to rehash what happened in the latest Falcons fiasco (4 fumbles). Now it's down to the Giants game. They have to win. I will be attending the game with my friend Pete. I really appreciate him inviting me to this big game. I know this - outside of division rivals Green Bay and Chicago, no teams have provided more heartbreak to the Minnesota Vikings than Atlanta and the New York Giants. Well, the Falcons did their part today. The Giants are up next.
What follows next Sunday has the chance to be a part of Vikings lore. In the depths of my soul, I know the Viking-Giants game will be decided by the most shocking, unreal, unspeakable, unfathomable, physics-defying, nerve-wracking, gut-wrenching turn of events not seen in these parts for......at least a few weeks. It will be fun, but it may be hell.
If you have been watching the Vikings long enough, you know what's coming next Sunday. I hope I am wrong.
Jeff
13 comments:
jeff-saw that picture of those weeping blondes you were referring to. did not know that one was the lead singer for boogie wonderland! If I had one bullet, it would have brian billicks name on it. what the hell was he doing in the booth? how full of himself is this guy? his smarmy comments made me want to punch him in the face. that was all the bad karma they needed. weird things are gonna happen with you at the game. bad, weird things dude. it will all be your fault, you know.
And the Vikings fans cheer "Go Pack Go!" Backing into the playoffs is better than 0-16!
As soon as I realized Billick was calling the game, I knew it was over. Geez, maybe the network can get Denny Green to call the Giants game.
Odd things are going to happen at that game next week, no question. No single soul, however, has enough karmic pull to influence a game. Except for maybe Steve Bartman.
Somewhere along the line, the entire Upper Midwest pissed off the football gods. I'm now sure how, but it happened.
I knew it... Once I stated to sport the Vikings jacket, they played one of their worst games of the season. It's going back into the closet!
I was doing some Christmas shopping yesterday, and a store had this great deal on a Vikings fleece. I almost bought it before I snapped out of it.
Nothing ensures a Viking loss like buying or wearing Viking clothing.
The more you pay for it, the bigger the loss.
I predict the Vikes get into the playoffs and then lose a home game to Dallas on a Hail Mary to T.O.
I'll be stunned for 5 minutes then I'll start laughing.
I was busy making pierogi yesterday at my gramma's. My uncle would come in the kitchen with the latest news periodically and none of it surprised me, other than maybe that the score ended up as close as it did.
I spent some of last week thinking about whether I could bring myself to root for the Packers tonight if the Vikes lost to Atlanta and I've decided I just can't do it. If the Vikes wanna make the playoffs, they better damn well win.
But I agree with Jeff that next week will likely feature some of the most gut-wrenching and unfathomable events ever to take place on a football field.
Jeff,
New rumor on Gaborik. Both he and Johnnson are gone and Kovalchuk is in.
Dools
Hey dools - I would probably take that deal knowing that the Wild are not going to resign Gaborik. Where did the rumor come from? Can't find anything online......
By the way:
Free - I could see the Vikings losing on a Hail Mary, but it would have to be caught by a 4th-string receiver who was claimed off waivers the morning of the game.
Snyde043 - what is pierogi?
Pierogi is basically a Polish version of a potsticker.
We make them with four different fillings: sauerkraut, mushrooms, cheddar cheese and farmer's cheese.
You could probably find frozen ones at your grocery store but they'll be stuffed with potato and not nearly as good as what we make from scratch.
Nye's Polyinaize room has excellent Pierog9i. I highly recoommend.
I'll have to try that. I generally like anything with sauerkraut since I am 50% German.
Dave - I see Gary Louris and Mark Olson are playing at the Varsity Theatre in Feburary. I think my wife and I are going. Any intrest in attending?
Post a Comment