Sunday, December 7, 2008

Escape From Detroit

Well, that was terrifying. Vikes win, 20-16. I really thought they were going to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory and lose to the 0-12 Lions today. The Lions played inspired ball, considering they had nothing to play for.

For those of you who might not be reading this post from the Minnesota/Wisconsin area, I realize that I, and most Viking fans, sound like paranoid cynics. That is because we are all paranoid cynics. And with good reason - the Vikings have blown more big games, often against horrible foes, than most NFL teams. There have been books written on this subject. I called tony8489 during the game and he made a good point, however. Maybe the Lions bad luck trumps the Vikings bad luck. That is probably true.

If I were to give out game balls today, one goes to Jared Allen, who nearly had his knees taken out by a Detroit rookie offensive lineman. I'm don't believe the guy was trying to injure Allen, but you can't take out a player's knees like that. Allen went out for a series and then came back and played hurt with a vengeance. This guy is a throwback to the 60's/70's mentality of "you play unless you are hospitalized." It nice to see is this era of sports (see M. Gaborik).

The other game ball would go to the forgotten QB - one Tarvaris Jackson. Jackson was sitting on the sidelines listening to his iPod and eating Cheetos when Gus Frerotte went down with an injury. Although his hasn't played since week 2, he came in and calmly guided the Vikings on 2 touchdown drives. He was 8 of 10 for 105 yards and a TD. He just might have resurrected his career with that performance.

The Vikes should win the division with one more victory. Here's hoping T-Jack has some more life in his arm, and that U.S. District Judge Paul Magnuson delays any more legal decisions for a few more months.

By the way - do you know who the Detroit Lion in that picture up top is? That is ex-Viking safety Dwight ("I'm just sitting in my car smoking pot, officer") Smith. He's probably high as a kite in that picture.

Peace,

Jeff

2 comments:

snyde043 said...

I think it will take more that one more victory to win the division since it would not surprise me to see the Bears sweep their remaining games.

I fully expected that final FG to get blocked and returned for a TD.

Jeff said...

snyde043 - me too! I expected the kick to be blocked also. I wish I wasn't this cynical with the Vikes, but they usually do not pull through.

Looking at the schedule, I agree that the Vikes might have to win 2 of 3. I'm hoping the Giants have their playoff spot wrapped up by the time the Vikes play them, so the Giants play their 3rd stringers.