Sunday, December 28, 2008

December 28th - Vikes vs. Giants

As I have mentioned, I will be attending the Vikings game today against the Giants with my friend Pete. It's for all the marbles today. The whole shootin' match. The whole Kitten Kaboodle (whatever that is). The Vikes will need all the luck, karma and bounces they can get to win this game today and become NFC North Champions and advance to the playoffs.

That is why I was rather disturbed this morning when I realized the date is December 28th. Thanks to Jim Souhan's article in today's Strib, I learned that this day has not been kind to the Vikings. What exactly has happened?

How about December 28th, 1975? How about the Drew Pearson "push-off," Hail Mary touchdown pass that eliminated the 12-2 Vikings from the Super Bowl. Many consider the 1975 team the most talented in team history, and this catch the lowpoint in Viking history.

How about December 28th, 2003? The Vikes were eliminated on the last play of the game by the vaunted Arizona Cardinals. A last-second touchdown pass to something called Nate Poole not only kept the Vikings from winning the division and making the playoffs, but it handed the division crown to the Green Bay Packers. The next year, Nate Poole was honored (I'm not making this up) by the Packers with a key to the city of Green Bay (insert your own jokes here) before a game.

Well, it's December 28th, 2008. Let's see what today brings for the Minnesota Vikings. Can they reverse the bad karma of 12/28, or will today's outcome be another "chapter in the book?"

I guess we'll see.

Jeff


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vikes win! Who knew?

Also Jeff it's the whole Kit and Kaboodle

Jeff said...

I still don't get it.

Anonymous said...

It's an old soldier's term. Kit is your mess kit (or toilet kit) and boodle is your backpack (I don't know how boodle became kaboodle). Anyway kit and kaboodle means all you have, everything on your back.

Jeff said...

Got it - that makes sense! By the way, Free, I am reading "Perfect From Now On" right now. I'll let you know what I think once I'm finished.