Editors note: Before I write my actual post, I'd like to clarify that I truly believe a team (i.e the Vikings) should "win" their way into the playoffs rather than rely on other teams (i.e the Packers) to beat divisional foes for them. That being said.......I cheered for the Packers last night. It was odd. Didn't work out too well, either. If the Packers would have beaten the Bears, they could have eliminated Chicago from the playoffs and the Minnesota Vikings would have been crowned NFC North Champions.
Or not.
It went very well for most of the game. The Packers led 14-3 at halftime, and stopped the Bears cold on their first drive of the second half. The Bears were punting to the Packers, and I actually felt pretty good about the outcome. That is when the punt hit a Packers blocker in the back and the Bears recovered. At that point, I remembered that I was watching "football," the most evil of sports and came to my senses. That is also when all hell broke loose and I witnessed a team collapse in such a manner that I haven't seen in, well...............since last Sunday.
Somehow, the Packers absolutely dominated the Bears in every phase of the contest but managed to blow the game and lose in overtime. As time in regulation was expiring, the Packers lined up to kick a 38-yard field goal (keep that yardage in mind) to win the game. A bad vibe came over me that I haven't felt since............well, last Sunday.
The kick was blocked.
This led to overtime. The Bears won the toss, drove down the field, and kicked the winning 38-yard field goal (keep that yardage in mind). 20-17 - Chicago wins. Astonishing.
A couple of things about this game. First, the Bears, down by 7, had a 4th and 1 at the Packers 5-yard line with 3 minutes to play. If the Pack stops them, the game is most likely over. The Bears ran up the middle and were stuffed well behind the first down marker. The Packers were celebrating as announcers were saying "the runner was stopped short." Then, what proceeded was the most incompetent, bordering on criminal, spot of the ball that I have seen in my 40 years of viewing football. The refs, to everyone's amazement, gave Chicago a first down. They went on to score the tying touchdown and the rest is history. It was complete bullshit.
Second. Thanks to tony8489 for pointing this out. Remember how I asked to keep the yardage of those field goals in mind? The Pack had a 38-yard field goal blocked that would have won the game. The Bears then nailed a 38-yard field goal to win the game in overtime. Do you remember a game that was played between the Vikings and Falcons 10 years ago for the right to go to the Super Bowl? Gary Anderson missed (you guessed it) a 38-yarder to seal the game in regulation. Then, in overtime, Falcons kicker Morten Anderson nailed a (you guessed it) 38-yarder to win the game.
Folks, spooky stuff is happening. You think it ain't?
This sets up the Vikings - Giants game next Sunday that I will be attending with Pete (The Weeg). Sure, the Giants won last Sunday to secure home-field advantage throughout the playoffs. Does this make me feel better?
No.
This is the perfect set-up for the Vikings to choke against whatever backups the Giants decide to put on the field next Sunday. It's perfect.
Crazy things are going to happen in this game. Don't even try to predict them. What will happen will be so mind-boggling that it will defy reason.
Buckle up.
Jeff
5 comments:
It's the Vikings would you want it any other way?
What are the odds that Sunday's game will be 41-doughnut?
Free - the scary thing is, I could see that happening. If it does, there might be a riot in the Dome.
Which would actually be kind of fun.
Jeff (and all the other Vikings fans out there) I'm sorry the Packers could not pull one out for you last night.
Unfortunately, we Packer fans have been witnessing the exact revolting turn of events we saw last evening for the better part of the season.
No defense. No special teams. No execution at critical points of the game. It's not at all shocking to me that the Bears pulled this game out.
Sorry.
Jase - actually, I think the Packers played pretty hard considering there was not much on the line for them. You could tell they really wanted to knock off the Bears.
And, they got totally jobbed on that spot with 3 minutes left. They stopped Forte and the game should have been as good as done. Of course, McCarthy could have challenged the ruling - not sure why he didn't.
The bottom line is that if the Vikings want to win the division, they should earn it by winning their own games.
I still can't stand the Bears, though.
name the last time the vikes won when they had to.....giants win easily, and your ears will be ringing with boos
Post a Comment