Monday, December 15, 2008

The Forgotten Quarterback

Nobody saw this coming. After a 1-3 start, the Minnesota Vikings have gone 8-2 in their last 10 games and are on top of the NFC North at 9-5. There have been some bumps along the way. Jared Allen's separated shoulder. The possible suspension of Pat and Kevin Williams. Now, the injury to Pat Williams.

And, of course, the benching of Tarvaris Jackson, the starting quarterback at the beginning of the season. Things were so bad after the first two weeks that head coach Brad Childress declared that 37-year-old journeyman Gus Frerotte would not only start game 3, but that he'd be the starter for the rest of the season. The Vikings started to win games under Frerotte, even though he is basically a statue in the pocket, a stationery target for the defense. Upon further review, it only makes sense that, by week 13, Old Man Frerotte would get injured. He has been hit so many times, he is lucky not to be in traction.

Which brings us back to Tarvaris Jackson, the young, mobile quarterback with the questionable throwing accuracy. I got used to seeing Jackson on the sidelines, hat on backwards, chewing gum, wearing headphones. He looked relatively happy not be be taking those shots that Gus was enduring. When Frerotte was injured against Detroit, however, it was once again Jackson's turn. He entered the game in the second half and calmly guided the Vikings on two touchdown drives and won the game. But that is against Detroit, right? My 6-year old daughter could have guided the Vikes to a couple of scores against the Lions, right ?(sorry Dools) What would happen in Tarvaris actually had to start a game, after the opposing team had a week to plan for him?

Well, the answer to that question came Sunday at Arizona. The Vikings, led by T-Jack, dismantled the Cardinals 35-14 (a possible entry into a parallel universe). Jackson went 11 of 17 for 163 yards with a career-best four touchdown passes and a 135.5 passer rating. Not bad. His mobility also added a dimension to the game that Frerotte could not offer.

I think I owe Jackson an apology. I've said some pretty bad things about his ability to start at quarterback in the National Football League. I've said that he is the second coming of Shaun King. I've said that he is not the smartest bulb on the tree (or something like that). Now, don't get me wrong - I realize that Jackson is not the second coming of Dan Marino. Six quarters does not make a career. And, there were a few factors in his favor that took place in the Arizona game. The Vikings took an early 21-0 lead, which meant T-Jack didn't have to play from behind. In addition, the Vikings running game was excellent, which kept Jackson's passes to a minimum.

However, I give credit to Jackson for, time and again, hitting big third down passes across the middle to keep the clock moving and keep the ball away from the Cardinals. I also give him credit for rallying the Vikings offense each time the Cardinals scored and crept back into the game. The biggest play was his touchdown pass to Bobby Wade after Arizona blocked a field-goal and returned it for a score to make it 28-14. If they go three-and-out after that block, it's a new game.

So, it looks like the Vikes may have a Quarterback controversy on their hands. I'm not sure that they can replace T-Jack right now after he has added a spark to the team. Football is an odd game and it's a long season. No question that the team had to go with Gus when they did, but it may be the time to hand the reigns back to Jackson.

What do you think?

Jeff

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Jeff, keep the Purple Kool-Aid drinking to a minimal... They can still turn on us but it's been an exciting two months so far.

tony8489 said...

I owe t-jack and childress an apology. childress saved this teams season by yanking t-jack, then inserting gus. the bottom line is because so much money is at stake, the pressure to win right away is enormous. it takes a minimum of three years to develop as a quarterback, for god's sake.

Anonymous said...

I've said all along that T-Jack is a good quarterback...he's just young. You can't expect a q-back to be a starter after only playing a couple of NFL games. My biggest fear is that we trade him off for another has-been before he has a chance to develop. Let them man progress. A little accuracy practice, and a lot more experience, and he could be great.

Anonymous said...

It sounds as if the way he played Sunday T. Jack should have been the seventh Viking to make the Pro Bowl.

Unknown said...

I'm thinking T-Jack is going to make me eat my words from earlier in the year.

Jeff said...

We'll see. I would be interested to see how he plays if the Vikes fall behind and he is forced to pass to get them back into the game. I'm hoping the kid does well, but he still has some stuff to prove.

There are certainly more bad quarterbacks in the NFL now than good quarterbacks. It would bode well for the Vikes if T-Jack could turn into a competant one. That is all they would need with a back liie AP.