Those of you who have known me for more than 1 minute know that I have always been a huge advocate for a new, outdoor baseball stadium for the Minnesota Twins. Baseball should not be played indoors, on plastic. Therefore, for the last ten years, I have sent countless e-mails to politicians, showed up at community hearings, and even testified on behalf of the stadium in front on the Hennepin County Board in August on 2006. I became obsessed by the topic, as many of you know. This is a major reason my wife created this blog.
Every stadium plan was rejected for various evil reasons until last spring, when a bill was finally passed by the Minnesota Legislature to finance a new stadium in downtown Minneapolis. The bill was given the blessing of Hennepin County and the Governor. Beautiful renderings of the outdoor stadium with real grass, blue sky and downtown as a backdrop were made available to the public (and added to this blog). A project team was formed that meets monthly, and famed HOK was named as the design team. The tax to pay for the stadium became official in Hennepin County on January 1st, 2007. Even though the process has taken ten years (easily) off my life, all is good - right? That is what I thought until I sat down last Sunday morning with my cup off coffee, slippers made by Maura and my Sunday paper. I then proceeded to read Sid's column:
http://www.startribune.com/507/story/907211.html
What the hell? Hennepin County is having problems buying the land?? I seriously had to read this six times before I could believe it. Honestly, what the hell? They said "SCRAP the project?"
I have to honestly ask if some evil force of nature is trying to drive me insane. What have I done to deserve this kind of crap? Now, don't worry readers. I don't have this kind of passion for a Vikings or Gophers stadium - just baseball. People have accused me of being paranoid, but I truly will not believe this stadium will be built until I am sitting in it with a beer. Maybe not even then.
Actually, I never expected something as stupid as not being able to buy the land to derail the stadium plan. I expected Chief Hiawatha's bones to be found as they excavated the site, and have it declared holy land and made into a Green Space for the Euphorians. Wait a second - I have to breath into a bag...........
OK. I'm going to save some serious swearing and rage for the day this thing falls through for real. In the meantime, I'm just going to assume that Sid is still bitter about the Twins leaving WCCO for KSTP 1500 AM. Just like he is bitter about the Wild and Xcel Energy Center ending up in St. Paul instead of Minneapolis. After all, Grandpa Sports is getting senile.
Right?
Wednesday, January 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Breathe. Just breathe.
I want you to repeat this 10 times. Ready?
"It's only a ballpark."
Try my life, being a 6 foot tall guy trying to sit in the 100 year old wooden chairs at Fenway for 3 hours.
yeah-sitting '...in the 100 year old wooden chairs at Fenway for 3 hours...' is pretty rough. How did you manage?
-roger
Jeff, please devote your resources to more immediate issues regarding Minnesota sports. Like the upcoming Vikings Draft on April 28th and 29th in New York City, New York. Where they will either select JaMarcus Russell (QB) or Calvin Johnson (WR) with the seventh pick.
Maybe Minneapolis’s problems will turn out to be a blessing in disguise, although it would really piss off “Senile Sid”.
The blessing would be to put a new Twins ballpark at the east end of downtown St. Paul near the St. Paul Union Depot.
This location has a lot going for it, what would be better than sitting in a south facing stadium with the mighty Mississippi river just over the outfield fence. Plus if some of the mass transit plans come about as they are being discussed the Union Depot will be a transportation hub and you’ll be able to walk a couple of blocks through historic lowertown to the ballpark.
Plus look at the development that happened on the west side of St. Paul with the Excel Center it would be nice to see this kind of thing happen at the other end of town. Of course with the Gopher Bar only a block or two away you don’t really need anything else.
We’ll take Minneapolis’s. ½% tax and add a similar one for St. Paul and think of the ballpark that could be built.
You go Uncle Rob!.... I love your plan... The Gopher Bar and a outdoor twins game in the same day
Jeff:
Please be advised that you and your friends can view me streaking:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1vqibob7Fo
I'm a Red Sox fan. Which by definition makes me completely insane. That's how I manage.
Ever see the movie Fever Pitch? Well...I know people who are that crazy about the Sox.
Post a Comment