Phil from Massachusetts will enjoy this next post:
How in God's name do the New England Patriots do it? They are the so-called modern age's version of a dynasty. They have won three Super Bowls and, after a huge upset win over San Diego, are on the verge of winning a fourth. I really felt in my heart that San Diego was going to win that game, until I saw Marty Shottenheimer and his 1988 glasses on the sidelines. I knew at that point that there was no way the Charges win. Really - check out this picture of a very bummed Shottenheimer after the Patriots loss. I didn't know you could find glasses that big anymore:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/sullivan/20070115-9999-1s15sullivan.html
Anyway, being a Viking fan, I know the feeling, and definitely feel sorry for the guy. I had that same glum, dazed look on my face in 1998 after Gary Anderson shanked a 37-yard field goal wide left that would have sent the Vikes to the Super Bowl - his ONLY MISS OF THE YEAR. But that is another, incredibly long story - let's get back to dynasties. To be a dynasty, a team must consistently overcome adversity, win championships, and be considered the Cat's Meow in your league. In the NFL, there have been the following dynasties:
1960's: Green Bay Packers (yes, we know)
1970's: Pittsburgh Steelers
1980's: San Francisco 49ers
1990's: Dallas Cowboys
2000's: New England Patriots
Now, as you can see, the Minnesota Vikings are not on this list. True, they were pretty good in the 1970's and went to four Super Bowls - and lost them all. Since that time, they have been to three NFC championships - and lost them all. One was the aforementioned loss to the Atlanta Falcons in 1998 which simply is the Single Most Harrowing Sporting Event that I have ever witnessed. Another was a 41-0 loss to New York in 2001. This was a game in which I invited people over, actually bought purple and gold plates and cups and had a spread of food. It was 14-0 before I had a plate of food. Thanks Denny Green!
In fact, in my 40 years of life, I have only had one favorite professional team win an actual World Championship - The Minnesota Twins in 1987 and 1991 (God Bless them, every one). The Minnesota Gophers have won a couple of national championships in college hockey too, which is cool. Other than that, it's been 40 years of futility, chokes, misadventures, dupes, trickery, pitfalls, underachievement, hoodwinks, gnashing of teeth and Snatching Defeat from the Jaws of Victory. But enough about that.
How does New England do it? I cannot fathom sitting down and watching a team that will just simply win each Sunday. Instead of sitting on the couch and saying "I know they're going to miss this kick," Patriots fans must say: "Oh, he'll make this 86-yard field goal with room to spare." Instead of saying "Where in God's name was (insert Vikings QB name here) throwing that pass? ," Patriots fans must say, "Did you see Brady thread the needle on that 99-yard pass into the wind to win the game with one second left on the clock?" And lastly, while Viking fans are wondering if they will blow the game on a fumble, horrific penalty, or missed kick, Patriots fans must be wondering if they will win on a masterful 95-yard, clock-consuming drive, or simply a last second, quick strike move down the field? I don't know, I have to breath into a bag again.
I am going to end this, because I need to put the kids to bed. But, does anyone out there really think that the Indianapolis Colts (bad karma team) is going to beat New England this weekend? Sorry, Peyton, but there is no chance.
Peace,
Jeff
Monday, January 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Well Jeff, after having these years of winning seasons with the Patriots, I've become very comfortable with them being contenders every week.
I feel that we have earned this by being...Red Sox fans. 86 years of being one pitch, one out, one defensive substitution away from a World Series Champs earned me the right to have a bit of fun with the Pats.
I do feel for you Vikings fans though. It couldn't have been easy finally getting on Monday Night Football and getting spanked for all the world to see. If the Colts or the NFC champs do it to us, you can rag on me right back.
Post a Comment