Saturday, August 2, 2008

Livan Gone; Gardy Suspended

It's been an eventful week on the Twins front. First, the trading came and went with no deals by the Twins. I hope this did not come as a shock to anyone. I read quite a few comments on various web sites from people who were very upset the Twins did not make a trade. People were calling for the basic "Derek Jeter for Brian Bass" type trades, which usually don't materialize for some reason. Personally, I think the Twins brass is very reluctant to trade any of the young pitchers on the staff or position players because any success they will have this year is basically "gravy." The Twins are realistically building for 2010 when the new stadium opens.

Secondly, the Twins took 3 of 4 from the Hated (capital H) White Sox to pull within 1/2 game of first place. Gardy (who I love) got ejected after a horrible call in the third game and punted his hat (see above). After this punt, hats rained down on the field along with a few baseballs. Now, Twins fans are usually very good natured - almost to a fault. When things get bad at the Dome, Twins fans usually purse their lips and utter such language as "drat, darn and dad-gum." Once every five years, however, Twins fans snap. Remember the return of Chuck Knoblauch in 2001? For three straight nights, fans in left field threw coins at him in left field. I was there with some guys from THE CHECK one night, but did not hurl anything at Knoblauch except insults. The second game was delayed and Tom Kelly was forced to walk out and lecture the perpetrators or the game would be forfeited. Bob Casey, the late-great beloved public address announcer screamed at the fans to "STOP THESE SHENANIGANS OR RISK FORFEITURE!" Casey usually saved such rage for his "NOOOOOOOOO SMOKING" message before each game. I miss that guy.

Anyway, a couple of nights ago, after hats and baseballs rained down on field, Ozzie Guillen (who I also love, by the way) pulled his team off the field and got in a screaming match with two old guys seated above the Sox dugout. They looked like those two old guys who heckle from the balcony in The Muppets.

That was fantastic, and another reason baseball is the greatest game out there. Guillen and the old guys were really screaming back and forth and Ozzie really let them get under his skin, just like the old guys on The Muppets did to Kermit the Frog. Gardy ended up getting suspended for Saturday night's game against Cleveland because MLB blamed him for "starting the fracas." Oddly enough, these "fracases" usually occur on "Dollar Dome Dog Night" in which hot dogs are $1. I can't really explain that one. Booze, I can see. But Dome dogs?

Thirdly, the Twins made a great decision by releasing Livan Hernandez and Craig Monroe and calling up Fransico Liriano from Rochester. Nothing against Hernandez or Monroe personally, but this move had to happen. Hernandez was a class act all year, and he could have ripped the Twins for letting him go now. But, instead, here is what he had to say:

"I had fun here," Hernandez said. "It's a great city for baseball. They treat people professionally. I never think I made the wrong decision when I decided to sign with the Twins."

Hernandez was 10-8 with a 5.48 ERA in 23 starts, but was just getting hammered since May. Since May 17, he was 4-7 with a 6.59 ERA and .364 opponent's batting average in 14 starts. The Twins infielders lives were at stake with all of the rockets being hit at them. Hell, the fans in the outfield seats' lives were at stake with all of the rockets being hit at them. Meanwhile, Craig Monroe was brought in to supply some offensive "pop," was hitting .203 and just never panned out.

Liriano? They had to bring him up. Never mind that he was 10-0 with a 2.67 ERA in his past 11 starts for Rochester - they had to shut up his agent. Liriano will be making his first start against hated Cleveland on Sunday, and me and Three Kooks will be there.

I will be an interesting pennant race. The Hated Sox have picked up Ken Griffey Jr. The Twins, however, might just have Karma on their side. Ask me again, however, in early September when the Twins return from playing 20 of 29 games on the road.

That stretch will determine the entire season.

Peace,

Jeff

3 comments:

snyde043 said...

I will be at tonight's game and Sunday to see the return of Franchise. Hopefully we can get through the rest of the homestand without any more shenanigans.

Jeff said...

snyde043 - it looks like the Twins are getting some good crowds lately. Last night was 40,937. Hopefully today will be the same. Although that probably means my kids will not get the TC Bear bank they are giving out...

snyde043 said...

Yeah, I missed out on the free caps last night because I stopped at the library before the game.

But seeing Franchise and also seeing on the scoreboard how KC whooped the Sox today made up for it.

I'm starting to think about lobbying for a special section in the new ballpark for folks who can actually manage to sit through a game without multiple food and bathroom breaks. My row today was pathetic!