Friday, August 8, 2008

Stuff To Ponder

Here's some stuff to think about as the weekend approaches:

1. John Edwards admits to extra-marital affair. Geez. Here is the background from an AP story from Startribune.com:

Former presidential candidate John Edwards, who won nationwide praise and sympathy as he campaigned side-by-side with his cancer-stricken wife, Elizabeth, admitted in shame Friday he had had an affair with a woman who produced videos for his campaign.

Acknowledging a sex scandal he had dismissed as "tabloid trash" only last month, Edwards said he had told his wife and family long ago, but "I had hoped that it would never become public."


Now, before I expound on this subject, I want to say that I am not bringing it up for political reasons. I am sure that if I did some research, I would be able to locate some examples of officials on both sides of the political aisle that have made the decision to fool around on their spouse. I am also not here to belittle Edwards. I always kind of liked the guy. But what the hell was he thinking? Edwards had an affair with another woman while his wife was suffering with cancer. Well, folks, I will tell you what he was thinking. A quote from the same AP story:

"In the course of several campaigns, I started to believe that I was special and became increasingly egocentric and narcissistic. If you want to beat me up feel free. You cannot beat me up more than I have already beaten up myself. I have been stripped bare and will now work with everything I have to help my family and others who need my help."

I find the first sentence of that last quote from Edwards to be very interesting. "I started to believe that I was special and became increasingly egocentric and narcissistic." That quote is very interesting to me. The older it get, the more I realize that some people, as they attain a certain level of fame and fortune in society, believe they are "above everyone else." They believe that they can get away with things that "the common folk" cannot get away with. They make bad decisions thinking that "they will not get caught." The problem is that they usually get caught. It makes you wonder if they are sorry for what they did - or are they sorry they got caught? I don't know.

2. Road rage with a twist. Check this story out from the Naples Daily News:

Collier County Judge Vince Murphy sentenced 39-year-old Christopher Scott Thompson, 80 Logan Blvd. S. in North Naples, to the class as a condition of his six-month probationary term on a misdemeanor charge, improper exhibition of a weapon.

Thompson was arrested at about 4 p.m. Sept. 28 after another driver, Joseph Hunter, told Collier sheriff’s deputies that a man in a white Dodge van flashed a gun at him on Logan Boulevard near the intersection with Teak Wood Drive. Deputies found Thompson at his home nearby and seized a gun from his white Dodge Caravan.

Deputies reported that Thompson told them that he got upset when he was cut off in traffic and didn’t back off the other driver. He said he had to slam on his brakes to avoid a collision but denied flashing his gun at Hunter.

Deputies charged him with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon without intent to kill and displaying a firearm during a felony. He had faced up to 15 years in a state prison on the latter charge, a second-degree felony, and five years on the other, a third-degree offense.

Here is the twist in this road rage story - Scott Thompson is a youth pastor at a local church in Naples.

Wow. That is something you don't see every day. A youth pastor accused of road rage, flashing a gun and being forced to attend anger management classes. Here is some more information from the story:

Thompson’s MySpace Page says he is married with two children and lists Jesus as his hero and church officials have called him an “outstanding employee” and an “effective leader.” He remains an employee there.

After the hearing, the church’s pastor, the Rev. Ted Sauter reiterated the church’s support and noted the lack of proof against his employee.

“Chris is an exceptionally effective youth pastor and the action today justifies our decision to believe Chris’ explanation and keep Chris in good standing on our staff,” Sauter said. “In contrast to Duke University with its Lacrosse team, our leadership did not rush to judgment based upon questionable allegations, but acted in a responsible and Christian manner.’’

I have a few questions:

1. Do youth pastors normally carry firearms?

2. Is Naples that "tough" that a person would feel compelled to carry a firearm?

3. Did Jesus carry weapons?

I just don't know what to think, people. The older I get, the more confused I get. It's a strange, strange world.

Jeff

1 comment:

tony8489 said...

my wife supported edwards. she feels betrayed. I somewhat feel sorry for him and his family, but to cheat on your wife while she has cancer? there is a special place in hell for this dude. I have been to naples many times. not exactly a hotbed of crime