Saturday, August 30, 2008

Bad Choice

Well, there you go. John McCain just lost the presidential election. To say that his choice of Alaska Governor Sarah Palin for running mate is a "head-scratcher" might qualify for the understatement of the year. I have always respected John McCain, but maybe all of the talk about him being "out of touch" is accurate. Let's consider the following:

1. Conventional wisdom said that after Obama selected Joe Biden as a running mate, McCain had to follow with an individual with national name recognition. Conventional wisdom said this is why Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty would not be picked. So............Sarah Palin? From Alaska? So much for conventional wisdom.

2. The Republicans just threw the "experience" argument out the window. Yes, John McCain has experience. But John McCain is also 72 years old and a cancer survivor. If he was elected, this would mean the 44-year-old Sarah Palin is literally one heartbeat from becoming President of the United States.

Until 2013.

Experience? Palin has served as mayor of Wasilla, Alaska - population just over 5000 (think Northern Exposure). In 2006, she was elected Governor of Alaska when she garnered 114,697 votes (114,697!). Folks, that is slightly more than the population of Rochester, Minnesota. In contrast, "little known" Governor Tim Pawlently won the 2006 Minnesota Gubernatorial election with 1,028,568 votes over Mike Hatch (who had 1,007,460 votes).

So, Palin, with her 114,697 votes, would be the individual with the power to lead us to war if something happened to John McCain? I find that scary. By the way, my concern has nothing to do with Palin being a woman. I would share the same concern over a man with the same credentials. In fact, I have shared my concerns about Barack Obama's lack of experience.

3. Speaking of womanhood, it has been speculated that McCain selected Palin because she is female and would appeal to the still-agitated Hillary Clinton crowd. One minor detail, however, is that her beliefs are near-total opposite to the Hillary camp on virtually every major issue. Is the thinking that the Hillary camp will disregard this fact and vote for the McCain/Palin ticket simply because Palin is female? Using this logic, McCain could have picked virtually any female as his running mate, because "women just vote for women." Paris Hilton. Amy Winehouse. Courtney Love. What does it matter?

I think this is a bad choice for the McCain campaign. Unless something really crazy happens between now and November, I believe John McCain just lost the election.

Jeff

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

I agree with most of your sentiments. But one thing I've learned over the years, is that politics is unpredictable, so we'll have to wait and see. But at first glance, it does seem an odd choice.

I will say that the govornor of Alaska is damn fine. If I were a more crude, disrespectful person, I would apply the term "MILF", which has never previously been used in the same sentence as the term "Vice-President." But I'm not that crude or disrespectful, so I'll keep that thought to myself. Good day.

Neil K

Jeff said...

Hey Neil - to borrow a quote from (P)Rick from The Young Ones - "Yes, some of the more politically unsound members of the flat might think that way..."

Glad to see that YOU are not thinking in those terms about the next possible VP! :)

I hope McCain isn't!

Anonymous said...

Mr. What Jeff Thinks,

I am sorry you feel that way about my Vice Presidential pick, but I have a favor to ask of you.

Seems like not very many people are coming to my convention and we're kind short of cash. So..... I was wondering if we could hold the thing in your back yard? That way we can save a couple of bucks but don't have to change any of the logo's that say St. Paul. Plus you could meet Dan Quayle, oops I mean Ms. Palin. Once you get to meet her you'll be quite impressed I'm sure.

So whaddya say? Is it a plan?

Jeff said...

Dear Senator McCain: It is true my backyard is in St. Paul. In addition, I have a few other things to offer. I have a blow-up pool. I have a brand new Weber grill. My kids have some serious whiffle bats and balls and a basketball hoop with a broken net.

I have a deck with a table and one of those big umbrellas. I have some brewski's in the fridge. What more could a person really ask for?

A couple of negatives - I don't need any wing-nuts throwing buckets of urine on my St. Paul home. Also, I don't really need the "Thurston Howell III" and his wife Lovey hanging out in my backyard.

So, sorry. I guess it's not going to work. Thanks for the idea, though.

Jeff

Anonymous said...

RNC, total destuction in downtown!! WOW, protesters, broken glass, etc. have fun

Jeff said...

Yeah, 90% of the protestors were peaceful and under control, which I completely respect.

Of course, the 10% wing-nut contingency was out wearing scarves and breaking windows. Most of them were "out of towners" who describe themselves as the "RNC Welcoming Committee." Hey, at least the protesting will die down when they have to go back to their jobs on Tuesday.

Oh, wait.........

Anonymous said...

You realize these self-proclaimed "anarchists" spent a week in Wisconsin at some retreat "preparing" for the convention. I suppose it takes a while to fill those 5 gal. buckets with urine. It's gotta be tough getting any preparation done when you believe in lawlessness and disorder.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the eighteen year old kid that knocked up that woman's daughter is in on the part where he is going to marry her.

What a crock.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave M, I think you're right. Here's some quote's from his myspace page (via the NY Post):


On his MySpace page, Johnston boasts, "I'm a f---in' redneck" who likes to snowboard and ride dirt bikes.

"But I live to play hockey. I like to go camping and hang out with the boys, do some fishing, shoot some s--- and just f---in' chillin' I guess."

"Ya f--- with me I'll kick [your] ass," he added.

He also claims to be "in a relationship," but states, "I don't want kids."

Jeff said...

The guy sounds like a real mental giant. Every parent's nightmare.