Well, there you have it, folks. Baseball Armageddon. The Four Horseman are mounting up on their steeds. The Seattle Mariners Baseball Club, in their infinite wisdom, have signed starting pitcher Carlos Silva for:4 years - $48 million dollars.
Yes, you read that correctly. Never before has a player so completely mediocre (bordering on bad, even) been signed for so much money. This would be funny if the ramifications on baseball were not so sad. Here are Silva's 2007 statistics:
13 wins
14 losses
4.19 ERA
202 Innings Pitched - 229 Hits Allowed
THAT is worth $12 million a year?
My God, what will Johan Santana be worth?? How about 106 GA-zillion a year?
Trade Santana now, Twins, while you can get something in return. What an absolute joke.
Jeff
5 comments:
wonder how much ron davis would have got
I still have some eligibility from UWEC. I could go back and take some graduate course work... wait... they don't have baseball anymore. Remember, they needed to get the girls badminton team established in the interest of equality. Vicious circle!
tony8489 - in all seriousness, Ron Davis would be making $10 mil a year right now. He'd blow 50% of his saves by striking out the first two batters and then surrendering a game-ending, walk-off home run. His agent would argue that he strikes out 2 of every 3 batters he faces.
Gilby - If I were you, I'd show up for one of those Twins "public try-out seesions." I bet your stats wouldn't be that much worse than Silva's. I bet you could bring some heat!
But I wouldn't try out for the UWEC girls badminton team if I were you. You could hurt somebody...
Jeff - I am starting to think we need to pick back up tennis ball baseball. We could convince Selig that considering he doesn't care everyone is on roids, tennis balls would be the next best thing to bringing stats back to realistic levels. We would then easily garner a few million per year throwing our changes and screw balls (provided the cover is partially torn off). You can find me this weekend in the parking lot of Trinity Lutheran. Merry Christmas.
Pedo - I have always thought tennis ball baseball would make an excellent professional sport. It would have to be played in a parking lot - no question. I think I can still snap off a pretty good curve with the tennis ball, although a severe elbow injury is assured because of my advanced age.
In all seriousness, it would be a blast to get "the guys" back together and play a game of TBBB in the Trinity parking lot. We'd probably have to plan that at least 6 months in advance and have medical assistance on site.
Have a Merry Christmas!
Post a Comment