After spending 5 weeks in a parallel universe, the Minnesota Vikings are finally back in their normal stratosphere. They lost 32-21 to the Washington Redskins, blowing their best (and possibly only) chance to make the playoffs for the 2008 season. I had very, very bad vibes before this game. I expressed this to couple of you, but decided against putting any mention of these bad vibes in this blog. I wanted to be positive (the ultimate in irony). In fact, after the Vikings got tackled for a safety early in this game, I declared "I'm going to try and be positive tonight." My oldest son's response was "good luck with that."
Yep. He knows his dad.
Here are some thoughts on the game:
1. Tavarius Jackson is completely overmatched. I am not saying he is not a capable NFL Quarterback. He is not a capable STARTING NFL Quarterback. The Vikings need to find another starting quarterback next year. Jackson has got to quit jumping in the air while throwing. It's killing me.
2. Teams know how to defense Adrian Peterson. Hey, if you can't pass, 8 guys consistently in the box will usually stop Walter Payton and Barry Sanders.
3. Chilly was out-coached tonight. He knew he was duped on that "12 men on the field" challenge by Gibbs. He was completely duped, and he knew it. Lesson learned (?). Probably not.
4. I can't remember the last time the Vikings won a game in which John Madden was the commentator. Seriously, it's been years. He is a jinx - plain and simple. I think Madden only brought up Brettfavre once, though.
5. I knew deep down the game was lost as soon as Fred (Smootzie) Smoots had an interception. Cuz you know, nothing bad that ever happened to Smootzie while he was in Minnesota was his fault ("he wuz robbed") ("nothing happened on that boat"). The fact that he is still playing and will probably be in the playoffs is proof that Satan exists.
6. Another reason I knew they were going to lose? I wore the Old School Cris Carter jersey during the game. Never, ever, get excited enough to ever don Vikings apparel. It'll burn you every time. I even bought chips and salsa and had CR over to watch the game. The last time I did stuff like that the Vikes lost 41-0 to the Giants in the NFC Championship game.
Oh, well. Now that we have passed out of the parallel universe, it is almost comforting to be back in reality. While we were in a parallel universe and the Vikings were winning, I didn't know what kind of other crazy stuff was going to happen. I didn't know if aliens were going to land and abduct me, or if dragons were going to descend on St. Paul. Or maybe good things would happen, like I would understand how to fix broken appliances or something. But probably not. Now things can get back to normal.
Peace, and Merry Christmas.
Jeff
Sunday, December 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Look at it this way Jeff... now that the Vikings have lost you get/need to root for Brad Johnson now (Cowboys projected starting QB week 17).
The Pantless Wonder
back to reality
The silver lining here... Take solace in knowing that your ticker was saved from being tested down the road and that the Vikes will actually double the 4 win mark that we all thought that they were going to register this season. Let's face it, in the most recent run, 3 were over mediocre teams (Oakland, Chicago & Detroit) and signficant sub-par performances by two others (San Diego and New York).
In harkening back to a previous post, I'll reiterate my main talking points:
1. Minnesota doesn't have a quarterback.
2. Chilly is not an NFL head coach.
3. Adrian Peterson should be on the field every play.
4. Ced Griffin can still not cover anyone.
5. The draft should be left to Rick Spielman.
6. You have been provided bonus time to get out on the 10,000 lakes and enjoy some ice fishing and sledding this January.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all!
PS: I knew we were in trouble when Smoots picked the first one and we "managed to only give up 2" after the first 2 offensive series.
The thing that makes me the MOST upset is that the Vikes aren't going to have a top ten draft pick (b/c we'll NEED it)! We all knew there was going to be a big let down coming.
Paul F.
Post a Comment