Thursday, December 6, 2007

The Vikes

A few weeks back, the Vikings played their worst collective game in over 10 years and lost to the Packers 34-0. Adrian Peterson got hurt and looked like he might be lost for the season. The team sat at 3-6 and it looked like they were on their way to a last-place finish. Needless to say, I was a little down on the squad. I'm kind of at a loss to explain what has happened since that time.

Sure, they beat the Oakland Raiders at home which is somewhat expected. Then, however, they proceeded to dismantle the Giants at New York 41-17, and destroy the Lions 42-10 at the Dome. It's not so much the outcome of these games that has surprised me. Here is what has surprised me:

1. Adrian Peterson did not play in 2 of the 3 victories. Antione Winfied did not play in all 3.
2. Tavarius Jackson has not only looked competent, he has looked confident. He can suddenly complete slant passes.
3. They have discovered a pass rush.
4. The play of the linebackers has been outstanding, especially E.J. Henderson.
5. They have consistently converted on 3rd down.
6. They have not only attempted, but converted, multiple trick plays.
7. They have not committed stupid, untimely penalties.
8. The play of the young wide receivers, particularly 21 year-old Sidney Rice. has been great.
9. Most importantly and amazingly, Brad Childress does not seem over matched. The play-calling has been..........good.

OK. Is this the "purple kool-aid" moment of 2007? Have they temporarily crossed over into a parallel universe? Possibly. The Vikes have been known to "tease" their fans at some time each year, before the "other shoe drops." Sure, the Vikes sit at 6-6, and the best that they can hope for is a Wild Card playoff berth. Is it time for the "big let down?"

I believe the upcoming game against lowly San Francisco will tell you more about this team than any other game this season. The Vikings enter a game, on the road, against an opponent that they are expected to beat. The game has playoff implications. If they blow this one and lay an egg against the 49ers, it's time pack it in folks. If the Vikings win this game, however, they will sit at 7-6 and control their own destiny. I can't believe that I just typed those words about the 2007 Minnesota Vikings. My preseason prediction was 4-12.

I must admit that I like what I see from some of the young Vikings. T-Jack, Chad Greenway, Sidney Rice, Aundrae Allison, E.J. Henderson, Cedric Griffin. The one thing that makes this year seem a little different, of course, is Adrian Peterson. He is the Real Deal, and if he stays healthy, there is finally hope for the future.

Has the purple kool-aid, once again, gone to my head? I guess we'll see.


Peace,


Jeff

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Vikings scare me if they make the playoffs...I'm relieved the Packers - or fudge-packers- as ronny-san might refer to them as, have a slim-to-no chance of having to play them based on the bye week.

Once again, Adrian Peterson scares the hell out of me.

Jeff said...

Jase - remember The Vision....