I wasn't really planning on blogging today, but sometimes stuff just falls in my lap and screams to be written about. Today, we have Dwight Smith of the Minnesota Vikings. The Vikings, as you may know, have won 5 out of their last 6 games and can possibly make the playoffs. They have also enjoyed a nice run off of the field, with nobody getting arrested in months(!). This is where Safety Dwight Smith comes into the equation. From today's Star Tribune:
Vikings safety Dwight Smith faces significant NFL discipline after admitting that he smoked marijuana Thursday night in downtown Minneapolis.
Minneapolis police cited Smith for possession of marijuana and obstructing traffic, both petty misdemeanors, at the intersection of 2nd Avenue S. and 4th Street S.
Smith was among a group of players Thursday night who attended a fundraiser hosted by linebacker E.J. Henderson at Bellanotte restaurant. According to the police report, an officer saw Smith's car impeding traffic in front of Sheik's Palace Royale nightclub at 10:11 p.m. The officer approached the car and "smelled the strong odor of marijuana," according to the report. The report also said Smith "admitted he just got done smoking some marijuana."
Nice. You know, I really believe that the Vikings have rid their team of most of their bad characters recently, but as I have commented to many people, Smith is a reminder of "the Fred Smootzie days." I hear Smith interviewed after games and I think "bad guy." This is not Smithzie's first brush with the law in downtown Minneapolis. As you may remember, he was caught in a stairwell "receiving a favor" from a woman (must have been a fan) from Hudson. Now, I am not saying that smoking pot and "receiving favors" are on par with domestic abuse, robbery, etc., but, my God, have some smarts! If you need to do this stuff (because you're keepin' it real), don't do it in public in downtown Minneapolis with cops everywhere. What an idiot.
But here is the funny part that caused me to have to blog immediately this morning. It turns out Coach Childress actually took time during the offseason to "educate" players on "the dangers of downtown social life." According to the same story by Kevin Seifert and Judd Zulgad here is what Chilly did this summer:
Childress said he personally walked the beat with Minneapolis police officers during the offseason, attended a squad meeting and left his cellular phone number on a bulletin board to promote his accessibility with police.
Childress also visited individual nightclubs, including Spin -- where cornerback Cedric Griffin was arrested in April. Childress said he used those visits to develop a detailed video and educational program for players during offseason workouts.
I had to read that three times and make sure that it was the Star Tribune and not the Onion that I was reading. Chilly actually visited EACH downtown establishment that his players might show up at (you know, there are a few strip clubs down there) so he could warn them of their dangers. I am not making this up. Here's a quote from Chilly:
"I don't have my head in the sand," Childress said. "We are always trying to be proactive about these things. I stood up there and told them, 'Hey fellas, I've spent time down there.' Here are some of the things that go on."
Now that is funny. Chilly is going to tell his players about what goes on in the clubs in Minneapolis. You know, I think I am going to try and use this one on my wife. "Honey, I HAD to go to each and every strip club in Minneapolis so I could warn my kids of some of the things that go on there."
You cannot make this stuff up. Sometimes stuff just falls in your lap.
Go Vikes.
Jeff
Saturday, December 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Let me know when you're going. I'll be your "chaperone." Making sure you don't get into trouble.
I will, Free. It's best not to go into these places alone. I heard that from Chilly...
Post a Comment