Wednesday, December 26, 2007

What Jeff Thinks - Best of MY 2007

Well, yet another year is almost finished. They sure go a lot faster now that I have kids and am getting older. Since 2007 is almost in the books, I thought it would be a good time to name "the best of 2007" in MY opinion. Now, I don't out much folks, so I am very limited when it comes to movies, buying albums, etc. Most of the movies that I see are kid's flicks, for example. So, while I know there are better choices available for most of these picks, these are my favorites for 2007:

BEST ALBUM: Wilco, "Sky Blue Sky." Runner Up: Jason Isbell, "Sirens of the Ditch."

BEST MOVIE: "Knocked Up." Runner Up: "Superbad." (Quick note - "Superbad DID NOT make my wife's "Best Of" list)

BEST BOOK: "Minnesota North Stars History and Memories with Lou Nanne" by Bob Showers. Runner Up: Ahhhhh......... I am admittedly more of a "news guy" than "book guy." Check out Pat Ruesse's excellent column on the North Star book:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/12839841.html?page=1&c=y

BEST CONCERT: Wilco, Northrop Auditorium. Runner Up: For sheer fun, The Flaming Lips at The Myth.

BEST SPORTING EVENT ATTENDED: Wild playoff victory over Anaheim. Runner Up: Many choices here, but I'm going with the Vikings victory over Chicago on Monday Night Football.

BEST BEER: That's a tough one, but I always go back to Summit Winter Ale. Runner Up: All the rest.

BEST SHIRT: My new Sasquatch t-shirt from the BFRO web site. Runner Up: Nothing is even close.

BEST NEW HOBBY: Playing the bass guitar. Runner Up: Blogging (of course).

TOP LOCAL NEWS STORY: The collapse of the 35W bridge. Runner Up: Hennepin County reaches land sale agreement with LPII and construction of new Twins stadium begins. (geez, something really big had to happen locally to trump that runner up for me...)

TOP LOCAL SPORTS STORY: Vikings draft Adrian Peterson. Runner Up: Timberwolves trade Kevin Garnett to Boston.

TOP LOCAL WEATHER STORY: It was a good old-fashioned white Christmas - just like the ones I used to know!

LOCAL "CELEBRITY" MOST LIKELY TO SPONTANEOUSLY COMBUST: TIM BREWSTER. Runner Up: That guy Rusty on Channel 5 news.

And here is a sneak peak at 2008:

TOP LOCAL STORY TO WATCH IN 2008: The Republican National Convention being held at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul. There will be some posts about this in the coming months. All I know is this - those protesters had better not harm the X.

Those are my top stories for 2007. Let me know what you think, and some of your top picks for 2007.

Peace,

Jeff


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

BEST GUY TO CALL IF I NEED HELP CARRYING SOME HEAVY STUFF DOWN A FLIGHT OF STEPS: Jeffrey Dewwwaaayne Thompson

Jeff said...

Well, Tito, when you have "guns" like I do, people are going to ask you to move heavy stuff. No question.

BEST GUY TO CALL IF SOMETHING NEEDS FIXING OR INSTALLING IN MY HOUSE: Tito Jackson. There is no runner up.

I really have no business owning a house, as I have said many times. If it were not for Tito, we would have received condemnation notices from the city years ago.

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

Assuming Ryan Adams did not melt down at the State, where would Easy Tiger fall on your album of the year chart?

Also, check out this link. It talks about how you can make some cash.

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20071226/ap_on_hi_te/business_of_life;_ylt=Auqgl8Hx4ofbSnZ1Lc05CPv7L5A5

Jeff said...

You know, Dave, I cannot get into Easy Tiger. Everybody seems to love it, but I can't warm up to it. My favorite Ryan Adams albums are Heartbreaker, Gold and Cold Roses (with the Cardinals). I like the straight-forward twangy stuff and when he deviates from that sound, I don't like it as much.

As far as the cash idea, I wonder how much people would pay for the Sasquatch and sports insight that I provide? Maybe enough for a McDonalds hamburger?

That would be cool.

Anonymous said...

You obviously didn't see I'm Not There. It's absolutely fantastic. If you want to cross the river to Milltown I'll go see it again (Playing at the lagoon, one mile from my home).

Did you see that the Ryan Adams concert at the Cedar Cultural Center was rated by both JB and CR in the Strib as one of the year's best. Neither even mentioned RA's other fracked up show.

Jeff said...

Hey Free - yes, it looks like I went to the wrong Ryan Adams show.

As far as the movies go, there were quite a few that I meant to see but never made it. Those "top movies of 2007" lists are coming out, and I have barely seen any.

Also, I read your post about Cloverfield. That looks like it has potential. I was a huge Godzilla fan as a kid...

tony8489 said...

1)ad will be fine once they can spread out the offense. I hope

2)I think jackson will turn into a superstar

3)all-time bust for the vikes

4)I had hair back then

5)correct

6) yep

7) agreed

9) los angeles

10) league is riddled with HGH

11) looks like you will be right on that one

12) chilly will turn into the new bud grant

Jeff said...

tony8489 - I think we have the #1 receiver for our all-time worst Vikes lineup.