Sunday, September 16, 2007

Vikes Lose - Here's What I Think

It was a beautiful September day today. Probably 70 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. Did I go for a walk? No. Bike ride? No. Golfing?? No.

I watched the Vikings lose to the Detroit Lions in overtime, 20-17. The game lasted 3 and 1/2 hours, and it is now getting dark. I will list this under "fool me once (Vikings), shame on you. Fool me 834 times, shame on me." Here are my observations:

1. I am now 3 and 1/2 hours closer to death.

2. I should have shut the game off when Troy Williamson muffed the opening kick, had it bounce off his knee, and nearly got recovered by the Lions. His eyesight has improved this year, you know. He does eye exercises.

3. Jon frickin' Kitna obviously picked this game to play as if his very existence depended on the outcome. He was part Joe Namath, part Roger Staubach and part Joe Kapp. I'm sure sometime this week he will come out of his trance and go back to being 15 of 40 for 189 yards and 3 int's next week.

4. The Vikes had a chance to win the game with a Ryan Longwell 52-yard field goal as time expired. The kick looked good until the last second when it mysteriously hooked left and hit the goal post. If Longwell was still with the Packers, that kick would have been good - into the wind in a blizzard.

5. Although T. Jack may not be the answer at QB, I don't really think Brooks Bollinger should be in the NFL. Looks like he might be your starter next week. Bollinger is the second coming of Steve Dils.

6. Football, more than any other sport, puts me in a bad mood and is not good for my health. I maintain my official position that my life would IMPROVE if the Vikings moved out of State. Your not going to be hearing any Vikings stadium rants on this blog.

Anyway, peace.

Jeff

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I truly enjoyed the outcome.

Jeff said...

Dools - I kind of expected a response from you! How are things going? It was like neither team wanted to win yesterday. The Lions were the better team, though. If Kitna stayed in the game the whole time he might have passed for 500 yards.

Jeff

Anonymous said...

Things are great here. It was hard for me to cheer for the Lions because I had a bar full of Vikings fans.

It's only fitting that on the night of the Emmy's, both Jackson and O'Sullivan (How does he stay in the NFL?) put on perfromances that were worthy of an Emmy. Best Comedic Performance.

tony8489 said...

I forgot about dooley liking the lions. I learned that information playing tackle football in their yard in 2nd grade. they had the best yard to play on.