Sunday, September 23, 2007

Nice Coat

Wacky Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad sure has been in the news a lot lately. You see, until yesterday, Ahmadinejad (who I going to refer to as MA because his name is too damn long) was scheduled to fly to the U.S. and speak at Columbia University. I understand that Columbia first contacted Satan to speak, but he was busy. And Hitler is dead, so MA was next in line. MA was going to enlighten the faculty and students at Columbia on his thoughts and feelings, which include the belief that "the Holocaust is a myth." I'm sure that bombshell would have come as quite a shock to some of the history professors at Columbia. He was also going to show everyone that he really is a swell guy, despite that pesky nuclear buildup and wanting to (quote) "wipe Israel off the face of the Earth." Now, I find out that Columbia University has cancelled his visit!

I feel kind of bad for MA. I'm sure he already purchased his plane tickets on Air (Terror) Tehran. There is no question that he picked out a brand new Members Only jacket for the trip. And, I have come to learn, he was busy making some site seeing plans for his visit to the New York area. One of the stops that MA was planning to make was Ground Zero. Here is what an report on CNN.com had to say:

The controversial leader asked to "pay his respects" and lay a wreath at the site of the 2001 al Qaeda attacks, but New York city officials on Wednesday denied that request, citing safety concerns at what is now a construction site.

Ahmadinejad said he would try to visit the site "if we have the time and the conditions are conducive." But if local officials cannot make the proper arrangements, "I won't insist," he said in an interview to be aired Sunday on CBS' "60 Minutes."

The interview goes on to say:

CBS correspondent Scott Pelley told Ahmadinejad he "must have known that visiting the World Trade Center site would infuriate many Americans."

"Well, I'm amazed," he said, surprised by the question. "How can you speak for the whole of the American nation? The American nation is made up of 300 million people. There are different points of view over there."

Yes, I am sure there is one guy, holed-up in a compound in Montana (who also thinks the Holocaust is a myth), who wouldn't mind if MA visited Ground Zero. The other 2,999,999 might be a little bummed out, though. So, it turns out, that MA's plan to visit Ground Zero was shot down pretty quickly. No site seeing and no speech at Columbia University.

So, with MA feeling spurned, he and his military buddies decided to show the world it's might yesterday. Iran held it's annual army celebrations which included fly-overs from Iranian-made Saegheh fighter jets. "All of these arms and equipment have been manufactured in Iran by Iranian experts!" declared a speaker on state-controlled television.

And, best of all, MA got to wear his new coat after all.

Peace,

Jeff

No comments: