Sunday, September 30, 2007

Like Clockwork

The Packers beat the Vikings 23-16. Back when I was in college in the late '80's, the Packers were coached by Forrest (will set the Pack on fire) Gregg. There were horrible year after year, and often embarrassed themselves on and off the field. Well, folks, the Vikings are now officially in "their Forrest Gregg years." I am officially embarrassed. Brad Childress is the Vikings version of Forrest Gregg. Here are some other thoughts:

1. Congratulations to Brett Farve on the NFL touchdown pass record. He's a sure Hall-of-Famer, and has had quite a career. One of the best QB's to play the game.

2. Under normal circumstances, I'd say that the Packers lack of a running game would haunt them as the year goes on. But, seeing as how they are guided by supernatural forces, this will not matter. They will win the Super Bowl. I'm serious about this. Tom Brady will injure his knee in the AFC Championship game and the Packers will beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

3. Kelly. Holcumb. Is. Terrible.

4. This sounds like a "Denny Green-ism," but "touchdowns usually beat field goals." Amen to that philosophy.

5. On a positive note, I love the Vikings throwback uniforms. I guess they will go back to the Arena Football League uniforms next week.

6. On another positive note, Adrienne Peterson is the real deal. He is literally the entire offense.

7. Side-note to tony8489: See why I'm looking forward to hockey so much?

8. My Sunday afternoons just became free and wide-open for the rest of the fall and winter.

Peace,

Jeff

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeff -

Well, I thought the Packers were going to give that one to the Vikes whe the blast of wind from the metrodome air conditioning system inexplicably knocked the ball out of Ryan Grant's hands there at the end.

It was a hard-fought game, and either team could have won.

I agree with your assessment of Peterson and the Vikes new uniforms, by the way.

I think the Packers will not continue to win games without the running game improving significantly...I also think they have next to no shot at winning the Super bowl.

I'm not a believer in this team yet...I don't know why.

Jeff said...

Hey Jase - I actually think the Pack is pretty good, other than the running game. The rest of the team is solid.

I am going to admit something here to Jase and all of "blogger world." Back in the 1970's I made a decision to be a fan of the Minnesota teams. Like I have told many of you, growing up in Eau Claire, I went for "vicinity over Statehood." I always associated the Minnesota teams as being "home teams" for Eau Claire because they were so damn close. I believe I made a great decision in regards to baseball, as the Twins have been pretty good on the field and respectable off of the field. Absolutely no regrets there.

I fully admit, however, that I made a horrible mistake with football. The Packers have been (for the most part) a class act both on and off the field. And, they are a hell of a lot more fun than the Vikings. When all is said and done, chalk that decision up as "a big mistake" for Jeff T.

tony8489 said...

thomps, are you high? remember a few years ago when sporting news had a list of the most obnoxious fans? one was notre dame, followed by the pack? now you are telling me, after all these years, that you regret not wearing puke green game day jerseys all year round, having framed packer stock certificates in your wood paneled office, having a little chunk of packer turf encased in plastic above your wood burning stove. now you are telling me you would rather wear packer zoobas like they still do in appleton, have a green and gold license plate holder that days "go pack", wear that stupid yellow cheese hear hat, all for what? to be a part of something you have always hated in the first place? I would rather casually follow the purple, knowing they will never, ever win the big one, then claim a team that the fans think high fashion is a bowling shirt. christ.

Anonymous said...

I don't remember any Vikings being convicted of raping a high school girl (Mark Chimera), or a house guest (Mossy Cade) or being arrested for beating a pregnant wife (Ahman Green). Plus your theory about Old Style and the Packers is true.

http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=1&date=7/23/2007&id=26792

And check out the house of these wonderful Pack parents:

https://secure.jsonline.com/CommunityServer/blogs/proofandhearsay/Packers%20house.PDF

Anonymous said...

Oh yes my hatred of the Fudgies is still strong.

Love Ronnie-San

Jeff said...

I knew that statement would spark some controversy.

And then there was the woman who knew she was having a stroke during the Packers - Carolina playoff game, and put off going to the hospital until the game was done. True story. (Probably wouldn't have been any doctors at the hospital during the game anyway.)

I was very fed up yesterday...I let them "get to me." Again.

Jeff

tony8489 said...

why would you ever be mad at this team? they are like the ex-girlfriend we all had . the one we went back to thinking it would be different this time, because it was 1998, instead of 1988, or maybe she had a new wardrobe. it will always be the same result. does not matter what year, what uniform, what owner, what quarterback, what stadium. at least the cubs, at one point, won a championship. this team, will never, ever win a super bowl. and we all know it.

Anonymous said...

Didn't see the game, went to a movie instead: Into the Wild, which was excellent. Something to consider Jeff: movie, scraping paint, dental appointment, watching the Lawrence Welk on TV are all things that are more enjoyable than watching the Vikes.

Man cheeseheads are going to be insufferable with Badgers and Packers doing so well. If Packers go to Superbowl, man it might be wrist slitting time

tony8489 said...

hey free-I like to occasionally watch the larry welk show. reminds me of when I was a kid, and when my folks were young. talk about a much simpler time

Jeff said...

Free - have you noticed that STM is oddly silent on The Greet Machine since the Vikes went in the tank? It's kind of nice...

tony8489 - I agree with you on the never winning the Big One, with one exception. As we have talked about, if the Vikes moved to another city they would win the Super Bowl within two years, a la the North Stars. No question.

Jeff

Anonymous said...

Let's just assume the following:

1. Brad Childress is not a head coach - he's a good O coordinator. See the Denny Green school of clock management.

2. There isn't a quarterback in Minnesota - convince yourself of this.

3. Adrian Peterson should be on the field EVERY play.

4. Vinnie Chircui (or however spell his name) should be charged with extortion for signing the contract he did with the Vikes in the off season.

5. Minnesota has 2 offensive linemen; Birk and Hutchinson. The rest should be sued for impersonating a lineman.

6. Chad Greenway cannot cover anyone in pass coverage in the 7-15 yard area. Note the number of times he's ragging down a receiver AFTER a catch.

7. The only guy selecting talent at the draft should be Scott Studwell. This year's draft is evidence of that. Sid Rice is going to be a great receiver and Brian Robison is the next Arron Kampman.

8. Ced Griffin cannot cover anyone. Bring in McCauley to grow in that role and demote Ced to nickel.

I don't expect a lot, but I do expect professionlism with the deal.

I was hopeful for a 3-1 start, but I'm convinced that Thomps' prediction 4-12 is right on the mark right now... maybe a little lofty actually.

tony8489 said...

ralph-agree with you on everything except #7. I think scott studwell at best has done a marginal job. I do believe he was responsible for troy williamson. need I say more? the guy they put out to pasture was bob holloway. he was the one who ran the draft for years before he was slowly squeezed out. I am not sold on studwell at the moment.

Jeff said...

Kevin Williams, Adrian Peterson and even Chad Greenway are all legit first-round picks. Troy Williamson, however, could be the worst first-round Vikes pick since Gerald Robinson was taken at #14 in the '86.

The best thing that could happen to this team right now is to go 1-15, get the #1 pick and take a QB. Which is precisely why they will go 4-12, pick 5th and draft a guy who is too big to play Linebacker, but too small to play D-Line.

tony8489 said...

thomps-I am not so sure about that 4-12 record. 1 win is all we might get

Anonymous said...

Actually, the more I research the deal; I find that Rick Spielman is the one solely at the head of this year's class. My bad. I officially retract #7, but stand by the comments as to the guys in question.

I would like to take umbradge with Thomps' Robinson selection as the worst #1. Demitrius Underwood would have to qualify as the worst #1 selection of all time (with props to the Chargers: Ryan Leaf and Packers: Tony Mandarich) for the kids in purple.

Makes you yearn for the days of Tommy Kramer and Keith Millard crashing into the drive-up window at Hardees in Mankato during training camp, doesn't it?

On a positive note... W.I.L.D! Let's drop the freakin' puck!

Jeff said...

Wow - Underwood. How could I forget? He showed up for Camp in army fatigues. Didn't they have two first round picks that year - maybe that is why I forgot? Ryan Leaf may be the worst pick of all-time in the NFL. These are the kind of picks that set teams back for a decade.

On a positive note, I will be attending the Wild season opener with my 8-year old this Thursday. Can't wait. Hockey is a sport that I have always enjoyed watching (win or lose) while football has always made me angry (win or lose).

Jeff said...

One last comment and I will drop the subject. Gilby - per your #2 above, it is absolutely criminal that Adrienne Peterson had TWO carries in the second half after gaining over 100 yards in the first half alone. Even Denny Green would have gave him 4 carries (unless it was a playoff game).

Time to move on.....