Saturday, March 31, 2007

Wilco's "Abbey Road"

I associate quite a bit of the music that I listen to with the seasons. I tend to listen to lighter music in the spring and summer, and heavier, more brooding music in the fall and winter. One of my favorite bands, Wilco, has definitely been a "winter" band with their last couple of albums, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and A Ghost is Born. Not that there is anything wrong with that. These were heavier albums with hard to decipher lyrics. While they were excellent, the songs were often difficult to listen to. Let's just say you wouldn't play them at a keg party. After a nearly three-year hiatus, Wilco is ready to release their next album, Sky Blue Sky. It's not officially due for release until May, but my neighbor Dan knows a guy who knows a guy who was able to obtain a copy, which Dan burned for me. I've been able to listen to it a few times, which has allowed me to form the following opinion:

Sky Blue Sky is Wilco's best album. It's outstanding.

After their beginning as an "Alternative Country" band, Wilco has been following a "Beatlesque" path beginning with their album Summerteeth. I heard quite a bit of Help, Revolver and Rubber Soul in their last few albums, but Wilco has now written their Abbey Road. Just like the Beatles final recording, Sky Blue Sky is a summer album. It's light and airy. It's a Hefe-Weitzen with a lemon compared to the Northern Porter of their last few albums. The first song, "Either Way," sums up the feeling of the album with these lyrics:

Maybe the sun will shine today
And the clouds will roll away
Maybe I won't be so alone
I will try to understand
Everything has it's plan
Either way

Here are some of my observations of the songs on the album:

1. Comparisons with the late '60's Beatles. As previously mentioned, the closest comparison I can make to Sky Blue Sky is Abbey Road. The song "Side With the Seeds" is the 2007 version of Paul McCartney's "Oh, Darling." "Please Be Patient With Me" recalls John Lennon's "Julia" from the White Album. My favorite song on the album, "Hate It Here," combines Billy Preston-like keyboards with Jeff Tweedy mimicking George Harrison "wah-wah" guitar from All Things Must Pass. The refrain of the song reminds of "Isn't It a Pity" from Harrison's classic solo album. All in all, Sky Blue Sky has a easy-going "groove" that past Wilco albums have not had. Two songs, "Impossible Germany" and "Leave Me (Like You Found Me)" have guitar riffs that beg a person to sit on the deck with a beer with summer breeze blowing through what is left of your hair. Can you say that about anything on Yankee Hotel Foxtrot? Other songs on Sky Blue Sky, such as "Walken," and "On and On and On" have a feeling of the jam on the second side of Abbey Road which essentially signaled an end to the Beatles.

2. Return to Wilco roots. Many old-school Wilco fans have never forgiven them for abandoning their alt-country sounds for Beatlesque pop. A couple of songs on the new album revert back to the old Wilco sound. The song "Sky Blue Sky" would be at home on either A.M. or Being There. In addition, "What Light" is a Gram Parsons-influenced tune that could easily find a home on any Uncle Tupelo album (which is a grand compliment). The slide guitar is back and it's great to hear.

All in all, Sky Blue Sky is a fantastic album. Many songs are already available to download. Run, don't walk, to buy this when it is available. I think I have my soundtrack for the summer.

Peace.

Jeff

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked the dark, brooding character of A Ghost is born and especially Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I'm neutral about Summerteeth but to be honest I dislike AM. The unique thing about Wilco that makes me think they're the real deal is that every record is so different than the others. They come up with a new sound with each record without reinventing themselves.

I like this record but it hasn't yet kicked me in the gut like others have. I should invest more time listening to it with Hefe Weisen.

Jeff said...

Thank you anonymous. Yes, once the spring and summer winds blow, and the Hefe Weisen flows, give it a listen with the brew. This goes back to my "born in Wisconsin" philosophy that many things go better with a beer.

Jeff

Anonymous said...

Wow, I know what I'll be tracking down in May. Thanks for that.

I've been arguing with friends for years now the Beatles-Wilco comparisons. I tried to make the case that Ghost Is Born was their White Album. I think most of them agreed with me just to change the subject. Glad you recognize the connections, I'll be looking forward to Wilco's Abbey Road. Hopefully it doesn't signify their end!

Jeff said...

Freealonzo - it's a great album. If you Google "Wilco Sky Blue Sky," there are a number of different web sites and blogs in which you can download songs from the album. I've felt that Wilco "went Beatles" starting with Summerteeth, which is 100% Beatles-influenced. I could see how A Ghost is Born could draw comparisons to the White Album with all of the different styles of songs.

I think you will be able to see the Abbey Road (or even Let It Be) influences on Sky Blue Sky, except for the couple of "twangy songs."

Jeff

Anonymous said...

I thought the Replacements did Let it Be.

Anonymous said...

Jeff,

I own one Wilco "album" and enjoy it very much. When you come to EC for the draft, if you would be so kind as to bring your "collection", that act would be greatly appreciated by me and my many patrons. I could add the tunes to the Pub iPod and have a steady Wilco influence on the "Akon/Stefani" generation.

They just don't seem to understand the concept of a guitar.

Dools