Here are a couple of things that have made me think recently:
1. The stadium land impasse continues to drag on, sending me closer to insanity with each tick of the clock (although rumors persist that there may be a solution soon). I have been hard on the Mayor of Minneapolis, R. T. Rybak, and the Minneapolis City Council for their apparent unwillingness to get involved and help solve the issue. I had yet another Letter to the Editor published in the Star Tribune criticizing them for their non-involvement. I have also been critical because crime is on the rise downtown, libraries are underfunded, businesses are shutting down and leaving, and the Twins and Vikings may be the next to vacate downtown. It seems to me like the Mayor and City Council are nowhere to be found. I have to apologize, however, because it has been brought to my attention that the Minneapolis City Council is indeed hard at work addressing the problems that confront their city. Please read the following report that appeared on the KARE 11 web site:
"A couple of Minneapolis City Council members plan to introduce a ban on performances by circus animals within in the city limits. Council members Ralph Remington and Cam Gordon want to amend city ordinances to prohibit circuses from bringing elephants, tigers and other wild animals into Minneapolis. "It's adapting to the times and trying to be more humane in our treatment of wild animals," said Remington. He said the ban would be introduced this month, and that he thinks he has the seven votes needed to pass it. Gordon said the proposed ban was the result of a long-term lobbying effort by animal rights activists. "It's arisen organically," said Gordon. "It is an issue coming from some active constituents and some people in my ward. But it's not a groundswell of people who are impatiently pounding on doors." ...But proposed bans have failed in other cities.The Minneapolis Shrine Circus, which is scheduled for the Target Center in mid-October, is among the circuses that could be affected by the ban."
And there you have it. I am humbled and sincerely apologize for my criticism of the Minneapolis City Council. They truly do feel the pulse of the city in their heart. I have to admit that I have spent many-a-night tossing and turning thinking about The Elephants. Now, because of this bill, a great injustice may be righted. Coincidentally, Mayor Rybak has not weighed in on this issue as of yet, but rumors persist that he has assembled a Task Force of elephants and circus workers to research the issue and report back to him with their recommendations.
2. A Wisconsin lawmaker recently proposed a bill that would require sex offenders in the State to have bright-green license plates on their cars so they are easily identified. Here is the story from the Star Tribune:
MADISON, Wis. — Wisconsin's worst sex offenders would have to drive vehicles with bright green license plates, possibly for the rest of their lives, under a bill a Republican lawmaker introduced Monday. Child molesters and sexually violent offenders would have to bolt the plates onto their cars and trucks when they're released from prison, the bill's author, Rep. Joel Kleefisch, R-Oconomowoc, said. Many sex offenders use their cars to commit their crimes, driving to see someone they meet online or prowling parks and schools, Kleefisch said. He picked green because children associate it with Mr. Yuk, a symbol designed to warn children of poison. "We chose the color bright green because many children have learned to stay away from Mr. Yuk," Kleefisch said. "We want parents to know if there's a car with one of these plates lurking near a playground, beware." Kleefisch said he's also considering emblazoning each plate with a sex offender warning."
I think this is a fantastic idea. I think it is all too easy for these criminals to blend back into society once they are released from jail, prison, etc. I also have an idea what the additional warning on each plate could read. It could simply say:
ASS HOLE
3. I am writing this on Wednesday night, and the WCHA Final Five hockey tournament takes place at the Xcel Energy Center starting on Thursday. Here are my predictions:
Thursday Night:
Wisconsin over Michigan Tech
Friday Night:
St. Cloud State over North Dakota
Wisconsin over Minnesota (three reasons - Gophers are too young, NHL-sized vs. Olympic- sized rink, and goaltending. I'll take Blake Richter over Frazee and Briggs - they make me nervous)
Saturday Night:
St. Cloud State over Wisconsin (playing three games in three days catches up with Badgers)
That's all for now. Peace.
Jeff
Wednesday, March 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Two questions on the Wisconsin license plate idea.
First - for $20 a day, the freaks can rent a car. Now what?
Second - I think the computer is a bigger problem. It's faceless, somewhat anonymous engine with kids all over it. How do we stop that?
Good Point Phil. I agree with you that the computer issue is tough. Maybe "exploding monitors" could be developed for situations in which certain sites are visited. Not sure...
How bout we just shoot the fockers if they're convicted of molesting children? Done. Next problem?
Bucky's got the legs, but not enough scoring to get it done. I'd go WI over MT, ND over SCS, MN over WI and, as Randy Jackson would say... ND's "in it to win it."
Gilby... Out
Man, you are way off on Final Five:
MSU beats Wisc.
ND Beats SCSU
MN Beats MSU
ND Beats Gophers
Freealonzo...I don't know, I just have a gut feeling. Of course, my gut feelings have been known to be wrong from time to time - like 95% of the time.
Way off? That was only one game difference and I stand correct on our difference in predictions thus far. Long way to go though.
Sorry to inform you again, but yet another "Wisconsin" themed story for you. Of course alcohol is involved.
http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1059144.html
Gilby, I was responding to Jeff's picks. Should have made that clearer.
Freealonzo and Gilby - yep, once again I was way off with my "gut feelings." I was correct on the Badgers first game, but basically wrong on all the rest. Since I'm cheering for the Gophs, I guess I'm happy I was wrong. I'm the only guy in the world who actually cheers for Minnesota first and Wisconsin second. I like them both. I just hate North Dakota.
By the way Gilby, I'm still trying to come up with something wrong with your idea of shooting convicted child molesters. Quite honestly, it sounds like a good idea...
Like Denny Green always used to say, sometimes it pays to "think outside the box." Whatever the heck that means!
Post a Comment