Thursday, March 8, 2007

Pond Scum

My sons are getting to the age where we really have to be careful about what they are watching on television. Half of the shows that are on at night would have been rated R when I was a kid. The CSI shows would have sent me into therapy if they were on during my formative years back in the 1970's. "In Search Of" freaked me out for flips sake. Thank God for Three's Company (more on that in another post). There is one show, however, that I will do anything to shield my kids from. It is called:

The evening news.

I swear I'd rather have my kids watch the Saw trilogy than the evening news. At least I could tell my kids that Saw I, II & III are "just stories." I watch the news, and I say "ahhh...that was just down the block." One good thing about the news - if you ever want to feel good about yourself, just turn on the news for countless examples of idiocy. The stories will make you feel like a combination of Einstein and Mother Theresa. Take the latest example of the so-called "parents" of the conjoined twins in Mankato, Minnesota. I use the term "parents" loosely, as you will see as this post develops.

To provide some background on this story, the twins were born back on November 9th by Cesarean. They were born face to face, and shared intestines and a bladder. Two months ago, the twins were separated at the Mayo clinic in a delicate procedure performed by a highly skilled medical team. Both the birth and surgery were "highly traumatic," according to reports. One of the boys is still at the Mayo clinic in Rochester, where doctors continue to care for him. The other boy was released from the Mayo on January 3rd, and allowed to stay with his "mother" and "father" (once again, I use the term loosely) at the Ronald McDonald house. Now - get this - the Olmstead County attorney's office has charged the twins parents, Robert Heck and Valerie James with felony first degree assault on the child.

Let's pause to reflect on those last words, and give my blood-pressure a chance to come back down a little.

Here is some more information from today's article in the St. Paul Pioneer Press:

"Complaints filed Monday and made public Tuesday allege the baby cried out Jan. 11 when the emergency room doctor at St. Mary's Hospital in Rochester touched or moved his thighs, knees or ankles. An X-ray that day showed eight leg fractures, which the radiologist concluded were about seven days old, and 16 rib fractures, apparently more recent, the complaint states. Interviewed separately by an investigator, James and Heck said they were the only two adults caring for Jordan after his release from Mayo, and each denied knowing how the baby's bones were broken, according to the complaint. Both suggested the injuries could have been caused by the infant's car seat, police investigator Sherry Bush said."

The car seat? What was the car seat strapped to - the bumper? I'm not trying to be funny here, folks. This story makes me so mad that I am actually shaking while typing this. According to the report, a Mayo pediatrician remarked that "in his 30 years of practice he has never seen a baby with this number of fractures." The article goes on to say:

"After his release Jan. 3 from the Mayo Clinic, the baby, Jordan, his parents and sister Jayden, a toddler, stayed at the Ronald McDonald House in Rochester while waiting for his twin to become healthy enough to be discharged. Another Ronald McDonald House resident reported to investigators that on Jan. 10, the day before Jordan's parents sought emergency care for him, a man in the family's room was heard yelling, "Stop it, stop it. I have had it. That's enough. … Knock it off." In between the yelling, a child could be heard whimpering, the complaint says."

This jack-ass was screaming at the baby (and who knows what else) at THE RONALD MCDONALD HOUSE??? Now, I know we live in a county where a person is considered "innocent until proven guilty." There is some history here, however. I hope all of you are sitting down for this next part. The "father" has been accused of this type of behavior..........in the past:

"A former girlfriend filed an order for protection against Heck in 2004, according to the complaint filed this week. The woman alleged Heck injured her three children, ages 3 months to 3 years. Injuries described in the protection order included bruises, a leg fracture sustained by an 18-month-old and cigarette burns on the 3-month-old's fingers, according to the complaint."

OK. Let's think about this. I know it's been said a million times, but a person needs to buy a license to fish, but any moron can become a parent. And not just once - let's have more kids! Hey - the first three enrage me, but the fourth one will be different, RIGHT?

In addition, in my opinion, anyone who harms a defenseless child in any way (physical, emotional, etc.) is the lowest form of life on this earth and a Coward in the first degree. I feel very sorry for children who end up with parents like this through sheer chance - they have no say in the matter. Also, it never fails to amaze me the number of wonderful people who cannot have children for whatever reason, but shitheads like Robert Heck seem to have enough sperm for 100 people. And, wonderful parents like mine - Dewey and LaVonne - live relatively short lives because of health issues. Robert Heck? He'll live to be 120 - no question.

I will say this, and then it is time to move on. I would rather have my parents - Dewey and LaVonne - for one day of my life than have Robert Heck as my father for 100 years.

Peace,

Jeff

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

JT. I think is a very good example of when "an eye for an eye " would come in real handy. I've got a baseball bat I would be happy to donate. What a coward. td

Anonymous said...

In my opinion this guy is also POND SCUM:

St. Paul 'Puppy Killer' can't own pet for two years
ST. PAUL (AP) - There won't be a lifetime ban on owning pets for a man who admitted snapping the necks of 10 puppies in St. Paul last summer.

Kimanie Carter, 20, had agreed never to own pets again as part of his punishment.

But prosecutors say the judge didn't order a lifetime pet ban for Carter, because it would be impossible to enforce.

"We would strongly prefer that the defendant in this case never own or possess a pet, but we understand the judge's decision," Ramsey County Attorney Chief of Staff Jack Rhodes said. "The law does not provide a mechanism to monitor a defendant once he is off probation in two years."

Instead, Ramsey County District Judge William Leary III sentenced Carter to 9½ months in the workhouse and a two-year ban on owning pets.

Carter also was placed on two years probation and will have to undergo a psychiatric evaluation.

Police said Carter killed the pit-bull mixes last August and threw them in a trash bin, either because the dogs weren't purebreds or to threaten his girlfriend.




(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Anonymous said...

In my previous I did not mean to dimminish the seriousness of child abuse, but only to point out that there are many kinds of sicko's who should probabley be casterated with a rusty knife.

Anonymous said...

Once again Doctor, well done!! I'll just say - Praise the Lord for the Deweys and LaVonnes of the world...

Anonymous said...

My father is a police officer and serves on the sniper team. Last week he was called to a house to set up. A man followed his ex-wife to a friend's house, went in, shot the homeowner (wounded), the ex (dead) and stabbed and shot their 11 year old son (still in critical condition) before shooting himself in the head.

If there is a special level of hell, I hope this guy is in it.

Jeff said...

Phil - your dad is a sniper? That is very cool!

Anonymous said...

yeh phil.... thats so cool - it might even make you cool......

Anonymous said...

Thomps:

Anonymous offered his bat... I'll offer my services. Sometimes God doesn't have time to enforce all his judgements and I happen to be available next week assist him in carrying out his will.

Gilby

Jeff said...

Hey Gilby - nice to hear from you! Your services are much appreciated, but may not be needed. Mr. Heck may be "going away" for a long period of time (but probably not long enough) if he is convicted of the felony charges he faces.

Anyway, I might be visiting Jase in EC for the NFL draft this April. Hope to see you there! Take it easy Gilby!

Thomps

Anonymous said...

This type of story sickens me... why don't you die Mr. Heck.

This is a prime example of why I refuse to watch the news & find myself turning away from numerous radio stations sharing the latest news.

The Pantless Wonder

Anonymous said...

Jeff

Give me a shout and we can break it down together. I saw a few of the preliminary notes and news quips regarding the draft, but I guess I must've skimmed over your name on Mel Kiper's Big Board.

Do you have to remain near a phone on draft day?

Gilby