"The Jets, Bills, Vikings and Browns are the Mount Rushmore of effed-up NFL fan bases: 50-plus years of history, lots of losing and misery, generations of fans and some particularly soul-crushing heartbreaks (in my Levels of Losing 2.0 column, those three franchises probably nailed every level combined). You can't root for any of these teams without having them infect your DNA in some way. Being a Saints fan hasn't exactly been a barrel of laughs, but there's a spiritual optimism about them -- something tied to the festiveness of Bourbon Street, Mardi Gras and the city in general -- that was beaten out of the Jets/Bills/Vikes/Browns fans a long time ago. Saints fans roll with the punches. Jets/Bills/Vikes/Browns fans expect to get punched, contort their faces into a giant wince, wait for a punch that never comes, say to themselves, "Cool, I'm not gonna get punched, it's gonna be OK!" ... and then they get clocked." - Bill Simmons, ESPN.
I can't sum it up any better than that. Most NFL fans would be ecstatic to have their favorite team in the NFC Championship game. One victory from the Super Bowl. Meanwhile, Viking fans are debating whether it would be worse to lose the NFC Championship game or lose a 5th Super Bowl. I know because I had this debate just yesterday with tony8489. I really don't know the answer to that question.
Now, don't get me wrong. I am happy the Vikes beat the Cowboys to get to this point. They have had a great year. NFC North Champs. A 12-4 record. Beat the Pack twice. Ended the Cowboys season. All cool. I am just wondering when the hammer will fall. You see, I can only really count the Vikings of the late 1970's to today as the team I have really followed. I was too young before that. I have only really lived and breathed 3 NFC Championship games and they have lost all 3. The Darrin Nelson "drop" of 1987, Gary Anderson "wide left" in 1999, and "41-doughnut" of 2000. Now, the Vikes have made it to a 4th and I am a bit paranoid.
Relevant E-mail (from Chris in Duluth, Minn.): "I've been wondering why, as a diehard Vikings fan, I'm still scared every single week that we are going to lose. And I finally have an answer. The Vikings are my brother's '93 Mitsubishi 3000GT. The regular season is like the test drive -- it ran smoothly, with only a few small kinks, and it looked damn pretty. The owner mentions a few things that might be a problem, but my brother didn't care -- this car seemed perfect. But every year, the playoffs are like the drive home, when the deal is done. We end up on the side of the road, the front right wheel rolling across the highway median into oncoming traffic, leaving us to realize one thing -- we've been duped. Duped by lots of flash, flash that blinds us from the gaping problems that really existed. Please tell me that this isn't going to happen this year. Please!" from Bill Simmons column, ESPN.
I love the Minnesota Twins because they have not let me down. When I die, I can say that I have experienced the Twins winning two World Series, God bless them. The Minnesota Vikings have provided many successful seasons to their fans, but there has been a letdown EVERY year. Every playoff season they have had has ended in a loss. Think about that. Every one.
The Minnesota Vikings owe me and every one of their fans a championship. The OWE it to us.
My good friend Jase, a die-hard Packer fan, said something to me once that made a lot of sense. He said that "all I ask is that the Packers win one Super Bowl in my lifetime, and I will be happy with them." Amen, Jase. And the Pack fulfilled his wish in 1997. The Minnesota Vikings OWE their fans a championship after all the bullshit that we have put up with over the decades. All I ask for is 1 championship, and they can have all the 4-12 seasons they want. And folks, if they cannot win it with Brett Favre at quarterback, it ain't gonna happen.
This is it.
With that said, here are my predictions for the NFL Championship week:
AFC:
COLTS over Jets: The Jets run comes to an end. Not that it matters.
NFC:
SAINTS over Vikings: Does anybody think, with my track record, that I am going to pick the Vikings? No way. I hope, in the spirit of George Costanza, that I am dead wrong.
So, let me know what you think. It's going to be interesting.
I can't sum it up any better than that. Most NFL fans would be ecstatic to have their favorite team in the NFC Championship game. One victory from the Super Bowl. Meanwhile, Viking fans are debating whether it would be worse to lose the NFC Championship game or lose a 5th Super Bowl. I know because I had this debate just yesterday with tony8489. I really don't know the answer to that question.
Now, don't get me wrong. I am happy the Vikes beat the Cowboys to get to this point. They have had a great year. NFC North Champs. A 12-4 record. Beat the Pack twice. Ended the Cowboys season. All cool. I am just wondering when the hammer will fall. You see, I can only really count the Vikings of the late 1970's to today as the team I have really followed. I was too young before that. I have only really lived and breathed 3 NFC Championship games and they have lost all 3. The Darrin Nelson "drop" of 1987, Gary Anderson "wide left" in 1999, and "41-doughnut" of 2000. Now, the Vikes have made it to a 4th and I am a bit paranoid.
Relevant E-mail (from Chris in Duluth, Minn.): "I've been wondering why, as a diehard Vikings fan, I'm still scared every single week that we are going to lose. And I finally have an answer. The Vikings are my brother's '93 Mitsubishi 3000GT. The regular season is like the test drive -- it ran smoothly, with only a few small kinks, and it looked damn pretty. The owner mentions a few things that might be a problem, but my brother didn't care -- this car seemed perfect. But every year, the playoffs are like the drive home, when the deal is done. We end up on the side of the road, the front right wheel rolling across the highway median into oncoming traffic, leaving us to realize one thing -- we've been duped. Duped by lots of flash, flash that blinds us from the gaping problems that really existed. Please tell me that this isn't going to happen this year. Please!" from Bill Simmons column, ESPN.
I love the Minnesota Twins because they have not let me down. When I die, I can say that I have experienced the Twins winning two World Series, God bless them. The Minnesota Vikings have provided many successful seasons to their fans, but there has been a letdown EVERY year. Every playoff season they have had has ended in a loss. Think about that. Every one.
The Minnesota Vikings owe me and every one of their fans a championship. The OWE it to us.
My good friend Jase, a die-hard Packer fan, said something to me once that made a lot of sense. He said that "all I ask is that the Packers win one Super Bowl in my lifetime, and I will be happy with them." Amen, Jase. And the Pack fulfilled his wish in 1997. The Minnesota Vikings OWE their fans a championship after all the bullshit that we have put up with over the decades. All I ask for is 1 championship, and they can have all the 4-12 seasons they want. And folks, if they cannot win it with Brett Favre at quarterback, it ain't gonna happen.
This is it.
With that said, here are my predictions for the NFL Championship week:
AFC:
COLTS over Jets: The Jets run comes to an end. Not that it matters.
NFC:
SAINTS over Vikings: Does anybody think, with my track record, that I am going to pick the Vikings? No way. I hope, in the spirit of George Costanza, that I am dead wrong.
So, let me know what you think. It's going to be interesting.
Vikings - don't let us down.
7 comments:
Vikes 34-Saints 31
Colts 41-Jets 17
The dream is alive for another week Jeff.
Again, good luck to my "Viking friends"
Thanks Jase - we need some of that Karma you had with the Pack back in '97.
when I was 4, my dad would quiz me on the names of the purple people eaters. I remember watching the 3 super bowl losses of the 70s. the hail mary. I remember 4th and 17. tony dorsett. walter payton. I remember 1987. I remember 98. I remember the arizona game. you god damn right they owe me. time keeps marching on. this may be our last chance. I do have a feeling that they are going to beat the saints. but I can't tell you that the vikings are going to the super bowl. no sir I can't. for the first time ever, I may not even watch the game. watching one viking game is equal to a night of hard drinking. it takes years off my life. this game may indeed kill me.
tony - I agree with you 100%. I can't really say I enjoy watching the game. But it's something you have to do. Kind of like going to the doctor and getting a rectal examination.
You are right, it is 8:23, FaRVE, is hurt, vikes have.....what 9 fumbles? I said from the get go, DO NOT put Peterson in there, sorry but he cannot play in big games, and here it is, another fumble as I type, NO WIN for the vikes. Sorry
Sorry, one more thing, let's try to throw the ball with 8 sec. to get an interception, and we may have won it with a field goal.
SAINTS win coin toss, see ya VIKES
It's the Vikings destiny to lose tragically in the big game. Did I swear at the end, yes. But I'm fine now. Son is now went through his first rite of passage as a Vikings Fan.
Post a Comment