Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Death of a Franchise

I officially give up. I can't do this anymore. Heart disease runs in my family. This is not healthy. My 4th grader is in tears, just like I used to experience before I settled into mere depression after Viking games. People who follow other teams might be thinking "these Viking fans are bad fans." Folks, we simply cannot take this anymore. This is 4 decades worth of heartache.

I have heard people say the "Minnesota built a new stadium for the wrong team" when we approved a new ballpark for the Twins and turned the Vikings away. That is ludicrous. Building a stadium for the Vikings and not the Twins would be like giving your teenage meth addict a car instead of your teenage valedictorian.

Not to overstate things, but tonight's loss may mean the end of the Viking franchise in Minnesota. Winning the Super Bowl would have at least provided the team with some stadium momentum with the population of Minnesota. Now, they are back to the proverbial Square One. We may have witnessed "The Death of a Franchise" tonight. And the question remains, do they really deserve one? Now that I have pissed away all of the purple kool-aid that I drank, I have to ask if my life would actually improve if this team actually just got the hell out of here. I would never say this about the Twins or Wild. The Vikings, however? It may be best if they just left. I simply can't take this anymore. Here are some thoughts on tonight's game:

1. I can't fault Brett Favre for the game he played. The mere fact he was not hospitalized after a few of those hits was a testament to his toughness. Once again, however, his last throw was an interception. And a bad one. It cost them the game.

2. Listen to what Bob Sansevere wrote in a column earlier this month: "A psychic friend claims the Vikings will play the Indianapolis Colts in the Super Bowl, with the Vikings winning. This friend has a very good record of getting things right." Look - if you are going to claim to be a "psychic," you had better be right about these things. I'd like to see what Bob's "psychic friend" has for an excuse now? Possibly - he's full of crap? And how about the guy from Kare 11 who claimed he was a "descendant of Druids" and predicted a Viking victory over New Orleans? Dude - which Druids are YOU talking about?

3. Adrian Peterson fumbles a lot.

4. Nice call by the refs in overtime on that "non-catch" to put the Saints in field goal position. I didn't know you could trap the ball with the ground. It's almost if the refs said "Hey, New Orleans has suffered enough with Katrina and all, and I am pretty tired. Let's end this right now!" They even blew the "Official Review" after the ruling on the field. This is why, once again, baseball should never institute replay. These guys can't get it right the second time, let alone the first.

That is all I have tonight. I am spent.

Thank God spring training is right around the corner so Minnesota can follow a sports team that won't always let them down.

14 comments:

Freealonzo said...

Let it out Jeff. It's cathartic.

However in the morning, or next week, or next month, you'll look back at this post and realize "I was pretty angry there but I don't believe all that I wrote."

But for now it's o.k. The Vikings loss tragically, just like they are fated.

Bet Mauer signs a 10 year contract on Tuesday. :o)

Neil K said...

Yeah, that one stings. Will definitely leave a mark. But I'll be right back there again next fall ready to have my heart broken again.....such is our lot in life as Vikes fans.

Don't blame the refs for this one. Vikings blew it all by themselves.

Jeff said...

Hey Free - it's morning and I already feel better. What can you do - it's a football game? I have sworn the Vikes off so many times, it's actually kind of funny. I would still like to see these guys win one Super Bowl in my lifetime, but it ain't gonna happen. And winning it as the LA Vikings doesn't count. By the way, do you have some inside info on Mauer??

Neil - you are correct that the Vikes beat themselves. I still think that was a bad call at the end but they had plenty of other opportunities to win that game. This game is simply another chapter in what is becoming a very long book.

Jeff said...

And another thing. I missed a new Sasquatch show on some cable channel last night because of the game. That might be the biggest heartbreak.

Freealonzo said...

Regarding Mauer: I don't have any insider information. Just reading the tea leaves. They've been talking, Mauer wants to sign, Twins want him, and the Twin usually make big announcements like this right before Twinsfest.

They will give the Vikings the news today and then announce it tomorrow. We might hear the unofficial announcement on Tuesday and the official word Wednesday.

Jerry said...

During the 3rd quarter I was traveling from a friend's house back home to get my kid in bed and I had on KFAN in the car. I think Paul Allen put it best: (Screaming) "The Vikings are giving the game to the Saints". So many turnovers. I, like you Jeff, don't know how many more of these seasons I can take. I feel more and more like a Cubs fan every day. However, like everyone else, I'll be back in my purple next year ready to do it again. For now, I'll concentrate on Nascar.

tony8489 said...

you got to be kidding me. 12 men in a huddle after the time out? someone was not listening. that cost them more than the fumbles. that according to 2 guys that used to play pro football. one with the vikes. the other won a superbowl with the giants. I am so sick of these guys. after the game I just sat there. could not move for half an hour. woke up at 2 am and could not get back to sleep. all I saw was that open field that favre could have maybe covered. it is a moot point if they were not penalized. 12 men in the huddle! after a timeout. I guess the emotion I have for this team right now is I feel sorry for them. and that is the worst feeling of all. love me, hate me. don't feel pity for me. christ.

Anonymous said...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/25/paul-allen-lets-favre-have-it/

Freealonzo said...

I'm not sure if this belongs here or not but whatever.

Actually it is not true that the Vikings have lost the last game every season. They have won the last game in a number of years where they didn't go to the playoffs. Here are the years:

2005
2002
1986
1983
1965
1964
1963

gilby said...

My life expectancy was just reduced by 2 dog years.

Jeff said...

Jerry - nice to hear from you! I didn't listen to the radio broadcast, but from what I heard, PA was going a little crazy. He probably knew what what coming too.

tony - "12 men in the huddle" will become the new "take a knee, "41-doughnut," "Drew Pearson push-off" etc.

Free - I meant each "playoff season" has ended in a loss. I'm intrigued by this Mauer insight, by the way.

Gilby - have you been getting grief from people in 'Sconny? I talked to Jase and he was empathetic. He's experienced the Favre high's and lows.

cd said...

Jt-
Shortly after the end of the game, I wondered .... "what does Jeff think" right about now? Then, I just hoped you weren't on oxygen or needing medical attention.
Happy to hear you're okay.
cd

Jeff said...

CD - "okay" is a relative term. I'm still bummed about missing that Sasquatch show. And, it helps to know an outdoor baseball stadium opens in less than three months.

It is interesting to see how my 4th grade son seems to have the same sports afflictions as me. Maybe he'll have a blog some day. My 8th grade son is very mellow and is able to take things in stride. He has a healthy outlook that he gets from his mom (no question).

gilby said...

I feel like I'm having to defend my sister's honor or something around here. It's freakin' brutal!