Sunday, January 3, 2010

#2 Seed.

I've been rather hard on the Vikings lately because the Vikings have been rather hard on me. I must give credit where credit is due, however, as they certainly took care of business today by crushing a disinterested Giants team 44-7. I give the Vikings credit for destroying a team that was begging to be destroyed, rather than edging them on a last-second field goal or something weak like that.

This win, coupled with a Cowboys victory over Philadelphia, secured the #2 seed for the Vikings in the NFC playoffs. Before going any further, I must say that cheering for the Dallas Cowboys this afternoon was a tough, other-worldly, out-of-body experience for me. Cheering for the Cowboys is not something that I am used to, but fits perfectly in this "parallel-universe of an NFL season." That being said, securing the #2 seed is significant on many fronts:

A. The #2 seed means the Vikings have a bye week to rest and get healthy. This is particularly beneficial for Pat Williams and Antoine Winfield.

B. The #2 seed guarantees the Vikings a home game, where they were 8-0 this year.

C. The #2 seed guarantees the Vikings only possible road game would be at New Orleans - another dome.

Now, I am not saying that I am ready to have another swig of the Purple Kool-Aid. We all know how Minnesota teams fare in the playoffs, particularly the Vikings. If fact, the better the playoff set-up, the worse the Vikings seem to choke.

In addition, the Nightmare Scenario remains in play. In order for the Vikings to play the Packers in week 2 of the playoffs, the Packers must win in Arizona and Philadelphia must win in Dallas next weekend. This scenario is certainly not out of the question, and most likely cosmically probable. The Packers present a match-up problem for Arizona. The Pack destroyed the Cardinals 33-7 today and the game wasn't even that close. The Cardinals seem to get all weak-kneed when they play the Packers. Probably because they think they are playing a road game with all of the Packer fans in the stands. In addition, Dallas must attempt to beat Philadelphia for a third time this season. It's always tough to beat a team three times in one season, something the Vikings would have to do to the Packers if they meet again. At least the game would be at the Metrodome and not Lambeau.

For today, I give the Vikings credit. If you would have told Viking fans before the season that the Vikings would be 12-4, NFC North Champions, and have a #2 seed, most would have been happy with that. Lastly, Brett Favre's regular season was unbelievable. He was 338/500, 29 TD's, 7 Ints., and a 104.3 passer rating. Those are MVP numbers, especially for a 40 year-old. All in all, a great regular season.

Now, however, the "real" season begins.

5 comments:

tony8489 said...

anyone can win this. anyone except the vikes, of course. what a crazy year. green bay is my sleeper pick to win it all

Jeff said...

tony - yep, deep down in my soul, I feel the same way.

Freealonzo said...

There's no doubt the Vikes will get lit up by either Drew Brees or Peyton Manning. But thinking that Green Bay has a chance is taking the doom and gloom too far.

Jeff said...

I don't know, Free. When it comes to the Vikings, doom and gloom go pretty far.

Freealonzo said...

Yea, but you sometimes take the doom and gloom too far. See link below:

http://whatthompsthinks.blogspot.com/2009/09/usual-bad-vibes.html