I don't believe there is a band in existence today that puts out music as wide-ranging, yet consistently excellent as Wilco. With each album, the Chicago-based sextet is not afraid to challenge their fans by offering up different musical styles ranging from Americana to electronica to straight ahead rock 'n' roll. You simply never know what you are going to get with a new Wilco album. Well, except for their newest release, entitled Wilco (The Album) which the band has been streaming on their web site for weeks before officially releasing it last Tuesday.Freealonzo wrote an excellent review of the new album. There are also glowing reviews in Pitchfork, their hometown Chicago Tribune, Spin and others. I'll let you read those reviews for an impression of the songs themselves. I will say that, for me, Wilco (The Album) took five or six listens before I warmed up to it, which means it's a typical Wilco album. It's complicated, which is why you are not going to hear it played on 99.99% of radio stations and it won't appeal to the American Idol crowd. Like most Wilco albums, it takes some work to get used to. In fact, the only Wilco album that I fell in love with on the first listen was Sky Blue Sky. (I also liked their first album A.M. the first time I heard it, but I have always thought that it was a "left over Uncle Tupelo album.").

I've always felt that Wilco fans fall into two camps. The first camp are those fans that prefer the "alt-country Wilco" of A.M., Being There, and Sky Blue Sky. The other camp are those fans that prefer the anxiety-ridden, edgy Wilco of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and A Ghost is Born. Summerteeth and Wilco (The Album) are probably the two releases that fall somewhere in-between genres. It's no secret that the so-called anxiety-ridden albums were released when Jeff Tweedy experienced his own anxiety and prescription-drug issues, which is well-chronicled in this excellent New York Times article.
While I appreciate all of the Wilco albums for what they are, I most-often fall into alt-Country camp. This is why I generally gravitate towards the "Sky Blue Sky sound" and enjoy the "soothing" songs on the new album such as One Wing, Country Disappears and Everlasting Everything. Sometimes, however, things can come along in life that require repeated listens to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I went through a phase recently in which I listened to A Ghost Is Born almost every day. That's the thing - for most every mood, there is a Wilco album.
I'm looking forward to the next Wilco gig in town since I can't make their upcoming show at the hippie festival in Detroit Lakes, MN with CR and Tito Jackson. I'm very interested to see how they treat their new songs live in concert.
So pick up the new album and give it about six listens. I think you'll like it.
Jeff
11 comments:
Nice write up. I like how you said that there is a Wilco album for every mood. A couple of months back there was a discussion at SBG's site about favorite Wilco albums.
I ranked them but then said that picking a Wilco album is like choosing between sex on a bed, sex on the couch, sex on the floor, sex on the kitchen table, or sex in the backyard. Each is great in their own way and depending on the mood and situation one can be more enjoyable than the others, but that could change the next day.
Freealonzo, I hope you have a good privacy fence and make sure the kids aren't coming home early before you "put on another album", if you know what I am saying. Oh, and remind me not to come over and eat at your table.
Anyway, I like your review, Jeff. I think this album is very good. To me, it falls a bit short of SBS, but not by much. With SBS, I remember my first listen and thinking, "I can't wait to see Impossible Germany live in concert". I also LOVED What Light on the first listen (which I actually heard for the first time at "A Prairie Home Companion" show that Wilco played at in Minneapolis.
I really like a lot of these new tunes, but none are as good as the two referenced above.
I don't like it when I hear people say things like "It's no Being There". I think that Being There will always be their standard bearer. That is an utterly perfect record that I put on the top of my list with Trace and Sound of Lies. Those are dave m's top 3. If any of you don't know who is responsible for Trace and Sound of Lies, I am sad for you.
Also, that is BS that Wilco rarely plays St. Paul. Of their last 4 shows in Minnesota, 1 in Duluth, One in Rochester, 1 in Minneapolis that I saw Jeff at and now the campground show in Detroit Lakes. Not only is it out of town, but I don't camp, won't camp and I am a complete see Wilco at any cost kind of guy (well not at camping cost).
Hey Dave M, we'll change the tablecloth for you don't worry.
Free - now that's the kind of review you don't get in, say, the Pioneer Press. By the way, I take it you changed the tablecloth before that last cookout, right?
Dave - I didn't realize that "Being There" was your favorite Wilco album. In my opinion that album has a few of their best songs - Misunderstood, Far, Far Away and Red-Eyed and Blue.
By the way, other than the hippies, one reason that I couldn't attend the Detroit Lakes festival was the fact that The Dave Matthews Band was headlining one night. I hate those guys.
Jeff,
Not just favorite Wilco, but possibly favorite album ever. The funny thing is, I don't know if I ever would have heard it if you didn't burn a copy of A.M. for my wife back in the day.
You are my hero
Thanks Dave. Believe it or not, you are the first person to tell me that today. And the last few decades....
I thought Dave M. was Dave Matthews (minus his band).
Nope, and I agree with Jeff. DMB SUCKS!
Put me down as a DMB hater
a too!
Just bought "the Album" last night and I like it right away.
They are on Letterman tonight with Feist. You & I from the new release.
Can't wait for the Hippie Festival.
You could'nt pay me to see Dave Matthews play their elevator music though.
CR
CR - here is the link to their appearance on Letterman last night:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4NPMjmZ-5A
Post a Comment