The Twins played a late game in Oakland last night and led 12-2 midway through the game. I woke up this morning and grabbed the St. Paul Pioneer Press and learned they lost 14-13....to the absolutely horrible Oakland A's. This was the biggest blown lead for the Twins since 1984.
The major league baseball season is 162 games long, so nobody should freak out about one terrible loss. Every year, however, contains a few games that stick in the memory as "season-changers." I actually have vivid memories of that aforementioned game in Cleveland in September 1984. I was at a Memorial High School football game in Eau Claire, and Jim Hill and I kept track of that Twins game because it had playoff implications. The collapse basically eliminated the Twins from playoff contention. It's a little frightening that I can remember this game 25 years later because I can't even remember birthdays and stuff.
I doubt a mid-season game in Oakland will have the same type of implications for the Twins. How they respond to this choke-job, however, may determine the path of their season.
How their General Manager Billy Smith responds may also determine the path of their season. The Twins have been relying on their farm system for bullpen help and help at second base. Alexi Casilla is back up in the majors for a third time with the team hoping he can get his head together.
It would be nice to see Smith make a move and bring in a pitcher or second baseman from another team to help the Twins. Maybe even save their season. But I am not holding my breath.
I think we're looking at a .500 baseball team here.
Jeff
Tuesday, July 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
What!?! We've got Grudzienvichynzky coming to play 2nd!! And Mulvey (or is it Mulva or Delores) now in the pen. Bill Smith is making this team better. I don't understand your post at all.
Thanks for the comments D. Bremer. I had totally forgotten about the Twins picking up Grudza.....Grunderhoff.....Grover Cleveland to play second.
Never mind the post.
Now for the real test of memory; Who was Memorial playing in that football game?
Good question anonymous! I have absolutely no idea.
(Hated) EC North??
Great! Will people now forget that "Can't Throw with both hands around your throat" quip. Jeez, who knew 15 years later that people would still be reminded of me anytime someone chokes!
Jesus Saves!!
Post a Comment