Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Surprised?

So, Brett Favre announced today that he is going to stay retired after a summer spent publicly flirting with the possibility of joining the Minnesota Vikings. Favre underwent surgery to repair a torn bicep. He spent countless hours working out at a high school in Mississippi (I did not know that they had those) to get his arm in shape. He went on national television and referred to the Vikings as "we." Now, three days before training camp opens, he announces that he will remain retired. This, in some circles, is know as being a "cock tease."

Does this surprise anyone? Did anyone really expect to see Brett Favre running out of the tunnel sporting a purple #4 jersey?? In my heart, I knew this would never happen. Why? Because, for the Minnesota Vikings, this is The Way Things Go. This will simply be another chapter in my upcoming book about the Vikings entitled "Snatching Defeat From The Jaws of Victory." The "Brett Favre Almost Joins The Vikings" Chapter. Not a lot of good stuff happens to the Vikings these days, mostly due to their own bad decisions and poor judgement. They also do not have Karma on their side. Poor judgement and bad Karma is not a good combination - just ask the Timberwolves.

Favre has driven me insane for years. Both his exploits on the field (beating the Vikes countless times) and the near-religious devotion of many of his fans. It's caused me to write posts like this. My official position, however, was that I hoped Favre would join the team for business reasons. Instant sellouts, national TV exposure and momentum towards a new stadium. I don't think Favre would have led the Vikings to more victories, however. This is not The Way Things Go for the Vikings. I have no question that Favre would have been intercepted 5 times against the Green Bay Packers on national television and walked off the field in shame. That is totally How Things Go. The interest in the Vikings, however, would have skyrocketed.

But no.

Once again Lucy (Brett, or Karma) pulls the proverbial ball away from Charlie Brown (an excellent metaphor for the Vikings) and he (they) falls flat on his face. It could be worse, though. You could be Brad Childress. How would you like to have to go crawling back to Tarvaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfelds now?

"Hey............T-Jack. Sage. How've you been! You know, you were always my guys. That Favre stuff was a ruse - a publicity stunt! You guys are the best. The team is 100% behind you. Half the guys were texting Favre just to say Hi!"

Good luck Chilly. He hitched is wagon to nut case Favre. And now his job probably depends on T-Jack and Sage.

So when is hockey season?

Jeff

7 comments:

jase said...

Jeff - I don't think this is over. Favre HATES training camp...and loves drama.
Don't be surprised if he changes his mind a week or two before the season opener. I'm serious.

Jeff said...

Hey Jase - how did you know that I was going to post something tonight?? :)

That is what some radio guys are saying, but I think the Vikings have to cut ties now. Unless there are injuries to T-Jack or Sage, it would completely divide the team to let Favre waltz in at the end of training camp.

The whole thing has been crazy - now I know how you must have felt during the "I'm retired/I'm not retired" days.

Freealonzo said...

I'm not totally surprised, a bit disappointed. Especially because the insufferable Packer fans were besides themselves with all the Favre machinations. It was fun to watch.

At least all the Packer fans know what we were talking about when we would say "great quarterback but total Diva."

jase said...

Free-

I agree with you that Favre is a Diva, and he certainly was a great QB, however, your insinuation that all Packer fans are blind Favre loyalists demonstrates how little you actually know about the situation.

I would(conservatively)estimate that 40% of insufferable Packer fans were in fact not "beside themselves" at the prospect of Favre becoming a Viking.

Not that it is a subject of any great importance, but many Packer fans, as well as just football fans,have grown tired of his act.

ESPN loves it though.

Jeff said...

Jase - you have always been "the voice of reason" when it comes to Packer-Vikings relations.

Both teams have knowledgeable fans and wing nuts, no question about it.

gilby said...

Could not think of a better picture to put with this story, Jeff. But like you pointed out, we're used to that as Vikes fans. Hell, I still have my unused plane voucher for the flight to Miami after they were to beat the Falcons.

Eternally doomed for mediocrity I'm afraid.

Jeff said...

Hey Gilby - I know somebody from THE CHECK (not me) who had the whole trip booked to Miami back in in '98. Flight, hotel, everything.

I don't think Viking fans do that kind of stuff anymore.