Saturday, July 25, 2009

Twins Season - I've Got a Bad Feeling About This.

I usually try not to rail on the Minnesota Twins, but I simply have to tag on to my last post. Just as I suspected, this team looks like it has given up since that major collapse in Oakland. By the way, before I go any further, when the Twins look at their schedule and see "At Boston, " At New York," or "At Anaheim (via Los Angeles)," they should forfeit the games and not risk injury. They have no chance in these ballparks.

Anyway, by some minor miracle (called the AL Central) the Twins started the day only 4 games out of first place. This is deteriorating quickly, however. So I'm going to keep my thoughts short and sweet:

1. The second baseman, Alexi Casilla, should not be in the Major Leagues. He is a head case and is hitting .164. That's .164. Once again, a starting second baseman in Major League Baseball is hitting .164. They need to find a second baseman, and quick. And this does not include Mark Grudzielanek.

2. The starting rotation lacks a "stopper." Someone to win a game and prevent losing streaks from getting too long. Frank Viola was a stopper. Brad Radke was a stopper. Johan Santana was a stopper. They do not have that today. They have "continuers."

3. The Twins lack a clubhouse leader since they traded Torii Hunter away. Remember when Gary Gaetti used to get pissed off when they lost? That was refreshing. He'd smoke cigarettes in the locker room and curse their mistakes. I understand that the Twins are made up of a bunch of really nice guys. I never thought I'd say this, but they need an ass-hole.

4. The bullpen, outside of Joe Nathan, is paper thin. They are relying on minor leaguers to get guys out with the game on the line. Playoff teams do not rely on minor league pitchers in these situations, for Cliff's sake.

5. Delmon Young still is killing me. I don't know what else to say about this.

6. Billy Smith? Hello - Billy! Are you out there, Billy??? Billy!!!!!

7. This year might be slipping away, but with Target Field opening next year, there is no excuse NOT to increase the payroll $20-30 million. The Metrodome will no longer be a convenient excuse not to increase the payroll. If they keep the payroll where they have it today, in the $60-65 million range, I am going to crap my pants.

People, I say this stuff because I care.

Go Twins.

Jeff

No comments: