Monday, September 15, 2008

Target Field

The new Twins ballpark finally has a name - Target Field. The Minneapolis-based retailer signed a 25-year agreement with the Twins to put their name on the new ballpark. Financial details were not released, but I am going to go out on a limb and say it probably is not chump change. I would guess that Target will pay in the $75-$100 million range over 25 years, if not more. I have to admit that I was surprised as I thought Best Buy would end up with the naming rights. Especially since Target is already the corporate namesake of the Timberwolves arena, Target Center (obviously). I'm also a little disappointed that THE CHECK did not shell out the cash for the naming rights so the ballpark could be called THE CHECK.

In a perfect world, the ballpark would be named after a former player like Kirby Puckett or Harmon Killebrew. It's hard for teams to turn down the millions of dollars they receive from naming-rights, however. This is reason # 2,342 the Twins had to get out of the Metrodome - $0 in naming rights. A team cannot compete with no cash coming in for naming rights.

Target Field. I guess I like it. At least it's not Wal-Mart Field. That would be terrible. No word yet on if the Twins will change their uniforms to red tops and khaki pants.

Peace,

Jeff

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am against it. What a stupid and embarrassing name. Walmart or Kmart would have worked just as well.
-Roger

Unknown said...

HA!! The Check won't even hand out money for people who work at The Check.

Although the jokes I could have made if they did...

Jeff said...

Roger - yes, but you are the world's only fan of the Metrodome.

Phil - very, very good point.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if Pat Graham had anything to do with the dealio? Inquiring minds want to know!

Jeff said...

Maybe Pat is getting a chunk of the proceeds!

Anonymous said...

I am not the only lover of the dome - You will rue the day... they should have called it Cry-Baby-Wah-Wah Field because fans are going to scream for a roof (like at the dome) the first time there is a drizzle or the temperature dips into the low sixties.
-Roger

tony8489 said...

anonymous is kind of right. we have turned into a state(and nation) of pussies. my dad used to bring me to games at the old met when I was a kid, and these folks were red meat eating tough. the whine and cheese crowd that dominates this state will be crying at the first snowflake, drop of rain, or cold day we get. tough luck. but I still hate the metrodome. we just need to breed a new class of tough, and take our kids to as many outdoor games as possible

Jeff said...

tony - I agree with you 100%. I have heard people argue for a roof on the new ballpark because of possible sprinkles, breezes, sun-in-eyes, heat, cool, etc. This, to me, is yet another sign of the apocalypse.

snyde043 said...

Agree with Jeff and Tony. If an open-air Twins ballpark means fewer pussies at the games, that can only be a good thing...