Here's what is going on today:
1. Vikings bring in Jerry Burns for a team pep talk. From today's Star Tribune. I love Adrian Peterson's quote at the end of the story:
Vikings coach Brad Childress invited former coach Jerry Burns to address the team after practice Saturday. It's the second consecutive season that Burns talked to the team before a Packers game.
"He just addressed the rivalry," Childress said. "He talked more about the mental aspects of the game today more than anything with our crowd. As you guys would know, in his own inimitable way. It's different than having a guest speaker. He's coached. That's huge."
Said Peterson: "He's so fired up. It gets you going. A lot of cuss words."
2. Twins 5-9 road trip and bullpen woes. This just in - the Twins bullpen is in a slump. And the sun continues to set in the west. I expected the Twins to fade a bit this fall, but for different reasons. If you would have told me before the Twins last 14-game road trip that they would go 5-9, I would have guessed that the young starting pitchers would implode. I also had some bullpen worries due to overuse. Well, the young starting rotation did great. They continue to provide the team with 6 to 7 innings of solid pitching every game - and then the bullpen implodes. Matt Guerrier can't get anyone out. Eddie Guardado can't get anyone out. Boof Bonser never could get anyone out. And Joe Nathan blew 4 saves on the road trip, which is almost unheard of. The relief pitching was not helped by the fielding, which has been horrible. I have not seen Twins fielding perform this poorly since the days of Lenny Faedo and Huston Jimenez in the early 1980's. Historically, the Twins have been known to struggle with pitching at hitting at times, but usually not fielding.
After everything is said and done, I still give the Twins credit for being 2 1/2 games out of first place on September 7th. They have over-achieved, and they are not out of the race yet as long as the hated White Sox continue to refuse to pull away. The Twins certainly have some work to do in the off-season, however, if they want to complete again in 2009.
3. Nobody, simply nobody, looks good on a recumbent bike. I just had to add that to today's post. I don't care how good for a person's back they are. Not worth it.
That is all for now.
Jeff
Sunday, September 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
coach uncle burnsie was the best. good comment on those bikes. like fanny packs, they should be left alone
tony - I totally agree. If you have to carry something around, a fanny pack is not the optimum way to do it.
My two cents: No Brady = not much reason to watch the Pats.
Hey Phil - that is a huge blow. At least you have some fond memories, however. You can tell from my new post about the Vikes that I am rather bitter.
1. Les Steckel's a better motivational guy... ask Herschel Walker.
2. Gardy must be drinking a fifth a night after watching the bullpen woes over the last 20 games - who could blame him?
3. Bikes are meant for legs to be perpendicular to the earth, not parallel.
Post a Comment