Thursday, November 8, 2007

A Tale of Two Franchises

I have often written about how, in this town, the Vikings could take a lesson in Public Relations from the Wild. Or simply hire them as consultants to check in with before they act or speak. Well, here is yet another example of what I am talking about.

Exhibit A: Wes Walz, one of the two remaining "original members" of the Wild, asks for a few days off to tend to "personal matters." The team grants Walz, one of the Wild fan favorites, the time off. "A few days" has now turned into "an indefinite leave of absence." Apparently, nobody on the team knows exactly why Walz needs this time off, although it has been rumored that he is pondering retirement. Here is what Head Coach Jaques Lemaire told the St. Paul Pioneer Press:

"It's really surprising that nothing has leaked so far, and that we don't know the reason he is gone and not coming back," coach Jacques Lemaire said today after practice. "If he needs time, that's fine, but I don't know that. I want him to take time, but I'd like to know what's going on."

It's not as if the Wild couldn't use Wes Walz right now. Pavol Demitra and Marian Gaborik, the Groin Brothers, continue to miss time due to injury. The Wild could use Walz. But, here is what team captain Brian Rolston had to say:

"He's meant a lot to this organization, and his work ethic is superior," Rolston said. "Whatever time he needs, we'll give it to him, no problems."

In other words, it would be great to have Walz back, but some things are more important that sports. The organization will give him the time off he needs.

So, what's up with the Vikes?

Exhibit B: Wide Receiver Troy Williamson leaves the team for a week to attend the funeral of his grandmother. The Vikings dock his pay $26,000. After the death last week of his maternal grandmother, Williamson rejoined the Vikings yesterday. He apparently was very close to his grandmother, who helped raise him and taught him to cook and drive. Williamson lamented that he could not spend more time with his family, particularly his brother Carlton, who is still in a coma after a car accident, even after the club withheld his paycheck. Here is what Williamson told the St. Paul Pioneer Press:

"I don't care if (the Vikings) would have took my pay for the rest of the year, I was going home," Williamson said. "It wouldn't have mattered to me. No matter what (Brad Childress) would have said, if I had to stay up here or not, I would have been at my house (in South Carolina) for that week." Williamson declined to comment, when asked if Childress was understanding.

Yeah, I bet Chilly was really understanding. He seems like a touchy, feely guy. What makes matters even more confounding is (lets not mince words here) Williamson can't catch the ball. And he's a wide receiver. Let me get this straight - the Wild grant a "needed player" an indefinite leave of absence and the Vikings dock a guy who can't catch $26 grand for attending his grandma's funeral.

Nice public relations, folks. The Vikings just don't get it. In the words of Sid Hartman, the Vikings could screw up a two-car funeral. There are a lot of reasons franchises struggle to sell tickets and fail to ingratiate themselves with the public. Winning and losing has a lot to do with that, but little things like "treatment of people" tend to add up over time. Some franchises tend to cut a lot of slack to the "head-cases" that get in trouble with the law off the field, and then fine those players who leave to attend funerals. Hell, even THE CHECK has paid bereavement time.

Once again, the Vikes should pick up the phone and ask the Wild for some advice before making decisions.

Peace,

Jeff

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This entry has nothing to do with sports. Thought you may like the link: www.abevigoda.com

Abe himself set this up, I think.

Anonymous said...

Well put, Thomps.

I think though that the Vikes are more concerned that in their eyes, they've now "officially wasted" their replacement for Randy Moss and thus the fine. Williamson's lashing back too for reduced playing time because in his mind - and only his - he's a legitimate #1 wideout in this league.

I'm beginning to think that I've found the answer though with respect to him. He has blinding speed - thus causing the sight problems. That'd make a good press conference for Denny Green right there.

As far as Walz is concerned, you're right. He's earned the right to take some time away. My only problem is that he's doin' it Tyler Hirsch style.

The Wild are as classy an organization as you're going to find in sports... anywhere.

Thank you again Purple Jesus. I'm officially hooked on watching you every Sunday, regardless of what the rest of the team does. GB 31 MN 28

gilby

Anonymous said...

Gilby...

Interesting perspective on the Williamson situation, money and promises unfulfilled...as cold as that may be, I would lean towards agreeing with you re: the poor investment results.

By the way, I thought that once Darren Sharper left Green Bay he would cease flapping his jaw prior to game day, but alas, he decided to "challenge" Favre to throw a deep ball in his territory.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

By the way, did I mention that Adrian Peterson scares the hell out of me?

Anonymous said...

Jeff

Stellar bass-playing last weekend.

Good luck to the Vikes Sunday...not too much, though.

Anonymous said...

Jeff

You'll be pleased to hear hockey-Bucky threw a shut-out vs. No-Dak tonight. 4-0.

Jeff said...

Hey Gilby - interesting perspective on Williamson. He was a wasted pick, 7th overall. That may have played a part in the Vikes decision to fine him. You wonder if they would have fined Adrienne Peterson if he attended a funeral. Actually, they would have tried and surpress the fact that he left for a funeral and it would be leaked to the press weeks later.

Jase - I read what Sharper said, and can only scratch my head. I'm not sure why he feels the need to needle Favre. Kind of like poking a sleeping bear with a stick.

Thanks for the note on the bass playing. When I got thing, I never really thought I'd be able to play it, but I'm using all 4 strings, for God sakes. Watch out, Flea!

Glad to hear Bucky shut out Nodak. How does the new goalie look? He must have had a good game.