Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving Torii

Thanksgiving came early for Twins center-fielder Torii Hunter this year. And Christmas. The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (of California of the western United States) have signed Hunter to a 5-year, $90 million deal. If I do my Eau Claire public school math correctly, that is $18 million per year for the 5 years. Torii can now afford to feed his family.

Hunter, who had become the "face of the Twins franchise," will be almost 39 years old when the contract expires. Folks, the time has come to say "see ya later" to the Twins center fielder and "thanks for the memories." I wish Torii well, but I don't blame the Twins for not signing him. I would not have given Hunter a 5-year contract. The Twins were reportedly offering 3 years at $45 million, a paltry $15 million per year. I also don't blame Hunter for waiting for and accepting the best deal. Gone are the days when the Hrbeks and Pucketts of the world take less money to play for fans that love them and stay with one franchise. Professional sports have become a game for mercenaries. Hunter has always been a great defensive center-fielder, a slightly above-average hitter, and a quote machine for reporters. He's also nearing the end of his career. My thought has always been that Hunter would sign with the Texas Rangers because he is from Dallas. He has said in interviews that he would love to play "at home" with his family near him. Obviously, "The Benjamins from Anaheim" speak louder than "the Hunters from Texas" in this case (Sorry, I had to get in a little rip, there). I don't blame Hunter - really.

The Twins have never been a franchise to hold on to their "superstars" forever. The aforementioned Kent Hrbek and Kirby Puckett are exceptions to the rule. This is a team that has gone through many "cycles" of players. The Twins have traded (or lost to free agency) the likes of Bert Blyleven, Rod Carew, Tom Brunansky, Chuck Knoblauch, Gary Gaetti, Jeff Reardon, A.J. Pierzinski, Frank Viola, Jaque Jones, etc., etc., etc. They usually end up improving their team in the long run through schrewd drafting and good trades. I can only hope the Twins take the money that they are saving by not resigning Hunter (and the greenbacks from the new stadium) and invest it back into the team. They need to resign Justin Morneau and lock up some of the young pitchers on the team. They also need to go out and sign a third baseman and a couple of players who can hit. Carl Pohlad simply cannot pocket the money he is saving by not resigning Hunter.

Lastly, the time has come to trade Johan Santana. If some of the rumors are true, the Dodgers, Yankees, Mets and Red Sox are offering some major young talent if they can be guaranteed to sign Santana to a long-term deal. He must waive his no-trade clause, however. This needs to happen. With the Twins luck, Santana will blow out his elbow if they sign him to a long-term deal. Trade him if the deal is right, but don't give him away. I would try and load up on young talent now for the new stadium in 2010. It's time for the Twins to start the next cycle.

Peace,

Jeff

No comments: