Somebody alert the city of Anaheim! The Ducks have won the Stanley Cup! Somebody contact the sports reporters from The Orange County Register and let them know that the NHL Stanley Cup "finals" have just ended and their team, the Ducks, have won! You can most certainly find the reporters at the Dodgers or Angels game.
One last hockey rant and I'm done until next winter. While there are a myriad of reasons why the NHL is struggling, here is one of my top 5 explanations. The last three Stanley Cup Champions have come from:
1. Anaheim, California
2. Carolina (Someplace in North or South Carolina, I assume?)
3. Tampa Bay, Florida
What the hell is with that? Not only are national TV ratings abysmal when these teams play in the Stanley Cup, the LOCAL ratings are abysmal. Now, don't get me wrong - this is not the fault of the teams that play in these cities - they are just doing their job. I'm just a little bummed out , you see, for the fans of Canadian teams, Boston, Buffalo, and - yes - Minnesota - who show up week after week to support their teams with sellouts and have nothing to show for it. They don't suddenly "discover" hockey in late March, buy a jersey, and claim that "they have always loved their team!" And, fans of the aforementioned teams can actually describe "icing" and spot off-sides when it occurs. Fans in proud Canadian cities must be suicidal. Tampa Bay?? This would be like the Toronto Blue Jays winning the World Series year after year, for God sakes!
Okay, breath Jeff.
Yes, the Disney Ducks have some great players to go along with insignificant goons like Brad May. The goaltending is tops in the league. I guess it's time to let it go. Congratulations, Anaheim Ducks - 2007 Stanley Cup Champions. Maybe Phoenix can win it all next year, or Atlanta.
Peace,
Jeff
P.S. - I told you Anaheim was a bad first-round draw for the Wild.
Wednesday, June 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Don't forget Nashville, they should get the Cup soon too!
Also Disney doesn't own the Ducks anymore.
At least we know that the Wild were taken out by the best, right?
Hey Free - yep, I know Disney sold them, but I still like calling them the Disney Ducks.
Gilby - that is what I kept telling my son, who REALLY hates the Ducks. By the way, I will be in EC again this weekend for Keith Krajewski's send off to Iraq. There will be a post on that one, believe me.
Jeff
Post a Comment