What is the definition of a "hero?" As a society, we've assigned the "hero" label to a wide range of people. Athletes who get paid tens of millions of dollars a year to hit a ball or make a tackle are heroes to some. Hollywood actors and actresses who get paid tens of millions of dollars to play a part on television and in the movies are called heroes. Even rock stars are heroes to some for writing and performing songs. You find out very quickly, however, that while these athletes, actors and rock stars certainly are talented, many of them are not good human beings. A good portion are down right despicable jack-asses. (Think Barry Bonds.)
When attempting to define a "hero," I give you the example of Keith ("Chewie") Krajewski. Keith is a Major in the Army Reserves out of Eau Claire, Wisconsin. I've known Keith since Junior High and have always thought of him as a great guy and a class human being. I've just returned from Keith's "sending off" party at Carson Park in Eau Claire. You see, Major Krajewski will soon be traveling to Fort McCoy for military training, and then shipping off to Iraq in September for an 18-month tour of duty. He is 40 years old, and co-owner of a business in Eau Claire. Most importantly, while in Iraq, Keith will be away from his wife and two children for this 18-month period. That, my friends, is true sacrifice.
Keith has never been one for long-winded public speeches, but he did say a few words to the large gathering in his honor in Eau Claire. In typical fashion, he asked that "no matter what you think of the war" please support the men and women that have to put their lives on hold to serve in Iraq and Afghanistan. It is true that if you asked the approximately 150 people in attendance of what they thought of the war, you'd get 150 different answers. But I am not trying to turn this post into a discussion on the war. Keith finished by saying that he would appreciate his friends keeping in contact with his wife and kids, and asked us all to support them. There is no question that will happen.
I have no doubt that Keith will take care of himself in Iraq. He has the intelligence and the mental make up for this. I don't know if I could say the same about myself if put in the same position. There are 1,764 reasons why I would not make a good soldier - lack of intelligence and mental make up being two of the top reasons. It won't be easy, but Keith will be fine. And, I'm already looking forward to his "coming home party" in 18 months!
A hero? The dictionary definition is "a person admired for his qualities or achievements." I believe this describes Keith Krajewski perfectly.
Peace, and best of luck Keith! You are in our thoughts and prayers.
Jeff
Sunday, June 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I will also agree to keep politics out of this post. god bless chewie, and god bless the united states of america
Jeff -
I agree that it takes a special kind of person to make a sacrifice such as Chewie is. I also know that I could not do it either.
Chewie has always been a super guy, great friend, and wonderful husband and father, and it was great to see how calm and re-assuring he was to all of us. I know I wouldn't have been!
I, too am looking forward to the coming home party, and know that Keith will conduct himself as he always has...with class and compassion for others!
For all of the visitors to your blog who don't know Chewie, and regardless of how you feel about this war, please keep him, his wife Carrie and their two young children in your thoughts and prayers.
Well said Jase!
Thanks for the comments,
Jeff
Chewie:
Belated regards and best wishes for your tour. I was up north enjoying the very freedoms that you and your mates are defending and was unable to attend your going away party.
I salute you and all those who stand in the face of danger to afford us all the luxuries we all too often take for granted.
God Bless You and your Family!
Gilby
Post a Comment