Monday, June 25, 2007

$65.375 Million Dollars

Delusional: A persistent belief in something false; typical of some mental disorders.

News item: Condemnation hearings began today in Hennepin County to determine the value of the Rapid Park site that the new Twins ballpark will be built upon. I'm sure you recall (doesn't everyone?) that Hennepin County and the Twins have taken over the site and have began the clearing process for construction of the stadium. Now it's time to find our what HC and the Twins have to pay the Land owners - Land Partners II. For months, Hennepin County officials have maintained that the land is worth approximately $13.75 million dollars. The land owners, by the way, have been paying taxes on the land which has an assessed value of $8 million dollars. LP II has never said publicly what they believe the value of their land to be. Until today, that is. It was revealed at today's hearing that LPII is seeking the following amount from Hennepin County and the Minnesota Twins (drum roll please):

$65.375 million dollars.

That is sixty-five million, three hundred and seventy-five thousand dollars. Why not? Why not a hundred gazzion trillion percillion (as my youngest son would say) dollars? My first reaction to the news was a mental image of that scene in Austin Powers in which Dr. Evil goes back in time to the 1960's and informs the leaders of the world that he will blow the planet up with his "laser beam" unless they pay him the ransom of "One.................Billion..................Dollars!"

LPII has recently portraying themselves as the keeper of widow's and orphan's land. How could they, in good conscience, sell for less than "it's real worth?" It's like Latrell Sprewell once said - "I got a family to feed." Never mind that it was the owners of The Rapid Park site actually came up with the idea to build a Twins ballpark on the site, and named it "Twinsville." A Web site was even created in which interested parties could purchase a Twinsville T-shirt and link to politicians e-mails to throw their support behind the ballpark.

What happened? My opinion (What Jeff Thinks) is that LPII counted on this deal going to court through condemnation since Day 1. Who can blame them for wanting to squeeze every nickel from Hennepin County and the Twins for themselves and the widows? I just think it's slimy the way LPII went about this whole deal. They never came to the bargaining table with a price (i.e. waiting for condemnation and a court decision on the price). Hennepin County is not without blame, however. One word of advice to Hennepin County for next time: Next time you decide to build a structure, it's always good to own the land it will sit on. All in all, I'm just glad they're building the thing.

Anyway, if LPII can get $65,375,000 for their parking lot in North Minneapolis by the garbage burner, I figure I can make some cash money on some of my possessions. I'm a willing seller, and I'm going to "one up" LPII - I'm going to name the price. So here you go readers.

1997 Ford Escort. Sweet ride. 93,000 miles. A few hail marks: $101,580
1999 Chevy Suburban. 126,000 miles. Big everything. Broken rear-view mirror: $425,987
Modest St. Paul Como Park House. 3 bedroom , 2 bath. 2-car garage. $2,987,456
Used Twins hat: $126
12 Pack of Diet Coke: $42.50
New Wilco CD. Very cool. $86.75

Please let me know if you are interested in any of these items. First come, first serve!

Jeff

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Might have an interest in the hat. Let me first check with Rollo on the street value~

Jeff said...

Gilby - let me know ASAP. I'll put a "hold" on it for you for a little while. At that price, it won't last long.

It's a nice hat - I'm wearing it right now.

Anonymous said...

Man, if that was a 12-pack of Diet Pepsi, I'd be all over that!

Anonymous said...

Oh, not to pick a nick but shouldn't your post be titled $65.375 million dollars?

Jeff said...

Good point free. I made the change. I understood there would be no math.

Jeff

Anonymous said...

btw, Nice Strib letter.

And my previous post should have said, not to pick a nit. I understood there would be no grammar involved.