Saturday, June 2, 2007

Bass Guitar Update

My wife has always had a knack for giving me outstanding gifts. She gave me my very first iPod for my birthday a couple years ago, which was a major turning point in my life. Then, she created this blog for me which changed the world as we know it. And, as some of you may remember, she gave me a bass guitar last Christmas. Now, I had never played any type of guitar in my life up to that point. The only musical instruments that I have played are trumpet and tuba. I started out on the trumpet in 7th grade, and by 10th grade, I was being "advised" to try tuba by my band teacher. I really think that playing tuba led to my love of the "bass lines" in songs. When I listen to music, I tend to hear bass lines over lead guitar, lead singer, etc. I can't read music, however. Ask me to play a certain note and you will be met with a blank stare. (Actually, you will be met with a blank stare from me on a lot of occasions.) I have to play "by ear." My neighbor Dan, the lead guitarist for Pork (The Dad Band), has been playing guitar since high school and has the ability to quickly pick up chords and immediately start playing songs. (He even wrote an outstanding tune called "New Brighton Moms" that you will be hearing on The Current very soon - no question.) I wish I could do that.

Anyway, speaking of the iPod, I have been trying to find songs with the easiest bass lines possible. Well, music fans, after some serious practice, I believe I have the following songs down on the bass. I'm not quite Flea yet, but at least I can consistently play some tunes. Here is the list:

Neil Young - "Harvest"

The Cure - "10:15 Saturday Night"

Joseph Arthur - "Nuclear Daydream"

The Modern Lovers - "Pablo Picasso" & "I'm Straight"

Psychedelic Furs - "Heaven"

The Replacements - "Can't Hardly Wait" & "Talent Show"

Social Distortion - "Sometimes I Do"

Stereophonics - "Dakota"

U2 - "With Or Without You"

The Waterboys - "We Will Not Be Lovers"

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - "All You Do Is Talk"

Snow Patrol - "Run"

That is all that I can muster up now. Many of these songs utilize 3 of the 4 bass strings for God sakes! Pretty soon, I'll be using all 4! Like in a year or something. I'll keep you updated.
Peace,
Jeff

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I should let it be known that Maura planned to get Jeff the plaid Paul Westerberg guitar for Christmas before I intervened. For weeks she had doubts regarding my intentions and thought I was coaching her to get him what I wanted him him to get, not what he wanted to get. With a stroke of good fortune, he got his coveted bass. He then co-opted a bass amp belonging to a U.S. soldier serving in Iraq. With Jeff's family occasionally out of town visiting relatives, the recipe is complete. He is then able to immerse himself in Summit beer and his favorite basslines. The result is fantastic. He has started at square one and quickly become a juggernaut, transmitting his rock and roll message through a fifteen inch speaker.

Anonymous said...

Please add Justin Timberlakes - "(I'm bringing)Sexy Back" to the top of your list. Then, in a few weeks we will add some Hilary Duff classics into the mix.
-Darryl

Anonymous said...

Pour some sugar on me.

Jeff said...

I'm working on Kajagoogoo's "Too Shy to Shy (Hush Hush - Eye to Eye)" right now. AWESOME bass line. Plus, I'd like to grow my hair and get a jumpsuit like the lead singer had. When he wore the jumpsuit with no shoes in that video? THAT is rock n roll.

Anonymous said...

Some of the standards to make your list well rounded:

Queen: Another One Bites the Dust
Ozzy: Crazy Train
Deep Purple: Smoke on the Water
The Theme from the Pink Panther

From the Bass Clef,

Gilby

Anonymous said...

Wow, you could play my daughter's 14 year birthday party. Those teen girls and their "boyfriends" would be all over that repertoire.

Anonymous said...

Jeff

How about "One" by Metallica...(a.k.a. Alcoholica

Jeff said...

Freealonzo - actually, that is the crowd that I'm aiming to impress.

Jase - that one may be a bit fast.

Jefff

Anonymous said...

you can do it, Jeffy