Saturday, June 16, 2007

Random Thoughts on the World of Sport

Hey everyone, I'm in another period of writer's block in which I don't have any in-depth opinions on hard-hitting topics like war, terrorism or the Sasquatch. So, it's time to jot down some thoughts on the sports world.

1. Twins pitching. The good news is that the Twins are only 5 1/2 games back in the AL Central. The bad news is that they continue to employ at least one pitcher in the starting rotation who is a guaranteed loss. Early in the year, it was Sydney "Pontoon Boat" Ponson. After he was given his walking papers, Ramon "He's Really A Nice Guy" Ortiz was next in line. Now that Ortiz has been banished to long-relief in the bullpen, this "honor" belongs to Scott "The Home Run Maker" Baker. (Some people refer to Baker as "The Bomb Maker," but this has different connotations in today's violent world).

Personally, I have never witnessed a pitcher who is so successful in the Minors, yet gets so completely shelled in the Majors as Baker. I was the Brewers that did the shelling last night. I happened to turn on the game after my son's ballgame last night. The Twins were up 1-0, but the Brewers loaded the bases on two singles and a hit batsman (of course). Geoff (wrong spelling of the name) Jenkins was up next. To guess what happened next, all you have to do is remember Baker's aforementioned nickname. Sure enough, Jenkins blasted a Grand Slam, and the Brew Crew led 4-1. Just like that. Baker went 4 2/3, and then Ortiz was brought in to mop-up. He was able to "shut down" the Brewers, allowing 5 ER on 8 hits in 4 1/3 IP. Not exactly Goose Gossage-like.

If the Twins want to contend this year, they cannot continue to parade guys like Ponson, Ortiz and Baker out to mound. I understand the low-risk experiments with Ponson and Ortiz, but Baker has been provided with too many chances. Baker has no "Out Pitch" in the Majors. The Twins did the right thing in bringing up Kevin Slowey, and now must bring up Matt Garza to provide him with needed experience at The Major League Level (copyright Bert Blyleven). Otherwise, this season will slowly slip away.

And, by the way, for the love of God get rid of Lew Ford. He is absolutely killing me.

2. Vikings buy Star Tribune land near Metrodome. Nothing is as painful in the state of Minnesota as a team trying to land a new stadium. It took the Twins a decade of gut-wrenching debate to convince the combination of Euphorian Democrats (what about the kids?) and No-Taxes Republicans (Paved roads? Who needs 'em?) at The Legislature that they needed a stadium. Now, it's the Vikings turn. For starters, they have purchased the land around the Metrodome from the Star Tribune for $45 million dollars. This is intended to show the public and the politicians that they are serious about developing the area around the new stadium once the Dome is torn down. This turn of events officially leads us to the "Cool Reception By Politicians" phase of the stadium game. It's like clockwork, folks, and it's the same every time. Here are some quotes from a story in today's Star Tribune:

House Minority Leader Marty Seifert said he got a sense of "stadium fatigue" at the Capitol after bruising battles that last year resulted in approval of new stadiums for the Minnesota Twins and the University of Minnesota football team. Seifert, R-Marshall, said several Republicans probably lost close elections in November after favoring the Twins stadium.
"I cannot imagine that there would be state funding of a Vikings stadium," he said. "I can't fathom that Minneapolis or Hennepin County would be saddled with one more stadium. The citizens are smart enough to know that these bills that are nickel and diming people together add up after a while."


Even some of the Vikings' biggest political boosters in the past reacted coolly Friday.
"If I was in the Legislature, I would have to tell you it does not motivate me a whole lot," said former Rep. Andy Westerberg, who sponsored the Vikings stadium proposal in Anoka County that ended last year; that proposal called for a $280 million commitment from county taxpayers.
"From everything I read and everything I've seen, I just don't see the value there for the taxpayer," he said of the Vikings' Minneapolis plans.


It actually warms my heart that we have officially made it to the "cool reception by politicians" phase of the issue. That means we have passed by the "artists renditions of the stadium are made public" phase. One minor detail the Vikings have to figure out, however, is how this thing would be paid for. I will reiterate that I believe that the Vikings should play in a renovated Metrodome rather than a brand new stadium. I truly believe the Legislature is much more likely to approve funding to renovate the existing Dome (which the Vikings HAD to have) than approve a new building. I will also reiterate that my official position remains that my life (and blood pressure) would actually IMPROVE if the Vikings left town. So there. We'll see what happens.

3. Wild resigns Backstrom for two more years. The Wild continue to do an outstanding job retaining their own players. They probably won't be able to afford any free agents unless they can trade Manny Fernandez and his contract, but you have to hand it to the Wild for retaining virtually all of their home-grown talent. This is a huge reason that I will continue to purchase my (very limited) Wild season tickets.

That's all for now.

Peace,

Jeff

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that Jeff is wicked hot.

Jeff said...

Thank you anonymous - I get that a lot.

Jeff

Anonymous said...

amazingly, this news references neither wisconsin nor alcohol:

From Ace of Spades HQ:

A US teenager has been arrested after he was caught on video having sex with a horse in a barn.

The owners of the barn in Corvallis, Oregon, had installed the video surveillance camera after previous assaults on the horse, reports the Corvallis Gazette-Times.

They were shocked to see footage of the teen sexually assaulting the mare when they checked the video in February.


We don't know if the horse was "good," but we do know the teenager was:

Deputy Clay Stephens, who viewed the video, said the youth seemed very practiced, not hurried but not wasting any time. He seemed to be following a "very concise, deliberate, well-thought-out plan".


I should be so lucky as to have government officials vouching for my skillz.

Jeff said...

I don't know what is more disturbing - the deranged teen-agers "act" or the "somewhat impressed" response from the Deputy. Oregon's weird, man.

Anonymous said...

and how bout the barney fife that new something was amiss in the first place? was it a dr. doolittle or a mr. ed that uncovered or revealed the previous assaults?