Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Only In Minneapolis...

Each day, I learn something new about The World We Live In that exposes me for the rube that I am. Usually, it's some product, idea or way of thinking that exists that would make the world a better place to live in (supposedly) if only people like me would pay more attention instead of watching hockey. Today's idea that I didn't know about was:

Green Roofs.

What are green roofs? According to an article in today's StarTribune: Simply put, a green roof uses grass and vegetation on top of a waterproof membrane. Its benefits include keeping buildings cooler in the summer and somewhat warmer in the winter. In dense urban centers, green roofs tend to cool so-called "heat islands," which are created by lots of cars and the sun beating down on more traditional tar or rock roofs. A green roof retains rainfall, thereby reducing dirty runoff that ends up in the nearby Mississippi River.

Ok. After reading that, I get the idea. It's basically a roof made of grass. I think that I've seen pictures of these in Europe, particularity Ireland and Scotland. I've seen pretty cool pictures of Irish pubs with goats eating grass on the roof. Sounds like a good idea, right? Well, certain politicians in Minneapolis seem to think it's a good idea, and they have a certain building in mind: The Target Center. Where the Timberwolves play. More from today's StarTribune:

A city-funded study estimated that a green roof would cost $400,000 more than a traditional roof. But the green-roof technology would pay for itself in energy savings in about five years. Electric bills at Target Center are typically $60,000 per month.If installed, Target Center would become the largest building in Minnesota with a green roof surface. What's more, it could be among the 10 largest green projects in the world. "Bragging rights," said Minneapolis Finance Officer Patrick Born." A priceless branding tool for a city," said Mark Andrew, an environmental consultant to sports teams and facilities.



Now, I'm all for pubs and restaurants and maybe even some office complexes having "Green Roofs" with some grass and hanging plants and stuff, but The Target Center? The Timberwolves have suffered enough embarrassment over the past couple of decades without having to play in a grass hut. How would you like to be a losing NBA team, and to make matters worse your arena has a jungle on top. I can imagine the National TV announcers saying "...And, if you think the Wolves are bad, you should see the roof of this place." Also, I would imagine the blaring rap music coming from inside the Target Center would scare the hell out of the goats and yaks grazing on top. This could cause problems on Block E below if you have animals jumping off Target Center. And we all know Block E has enough problems right now.


Why must the politicians in Minneapolis mess with these things? You just don't see this type of thing come up in St. Paul. (Gondolas over the Mississippi, maybe, but not Green Roofs on sports arenas.) Now that the Twins ballpark is a done deal, I hope that the Hennepin County Commissioners don't start thinking about adding a green "grazing area" for antelope beyond the center field fence. Thank God the site is so small, or this might become a reality.
Maybe, I'll e-mail Larry Pogemiller about this. He'll get something done.
Jeff

No comments: