Saturday, May 26, 2007

Fleeting Random Updates and Thoughts

Some things on my mind:

1. In an update to the "bear" attack story (see previous post), officials are now claiming it was a "bobcat" who attacked a man in Itasca State Park. Yeah, right. What will it be tomorrow - a hippo? People, it was a Sasquatch.

2. Roseville, Minnesota is a first-ring suburb just north of St. Paul. I live quite close to Roseville, and do most of my errand running there. It's made up of strip malls, some very nice parks, and several old-folks homes. And I mean several. You see, the average age of a Roseville resident is 106. I am continually shocked and amazed by how old people are in Roseville. Now, this is not a rip. God bless them all. You don't get to 106 by not taking care of yourself. The only real problem that I see is their driving. When you are driving through Roseville, make sure to watch very carefully for Lincolns, Cadillacs, and Oldsmobile's as long as yachts with handicap signs and no visual driver. They will run stop signs, stop at green lights or in the middle of the road or pull out in front of you like you do not exist. All at 7 miles per hour (just to be safe!). And, they will park wherever they damn well please.

Most of the time, these folks will park at The House of Wong, an Asian restaurant in a strip mall near Blockbuster. This restaurant is the epicenter of old in Roseville, and it's an institution. Many generations of Rosevillians have eaten there. Most of them within the last week. And, by the way, it's about as "authentic" Asian as Arby's, but that is not important. The House of Wong must have some seriously good Chow Main, or some seriously low prices. Maybe the older you are, the less you pay. If that's the case, I have a feeling that The House of Wong actually OWES money to a few of their patrons. I swear the other day I say a couple in their late 70's walking THEIR MOTHER into the place. She was literally 3 1/2 feet tall. I was idling in my car (going to Rainbow for groceries, of course) waiting for the three of them to cross the street and enter Wong's House. I read the entire sports section while waiting. Unbelievable.

Maybe these old folks know something that I don't, however. Maybe it's not the food or prices that keep them coming back. Maybe that contraption disguised as a pop machine is actually the Fountain of Youth. Or they sprinkle some kind of "youth dust" on their food, like in Peter Pan. Maybe it's not the Zocor that will keep me living into my 100's, maybe I just have to eat at The House of Wong! I'm definitely walking there, however. Driving around Roseville is not the way to live a long life.

3. Freealonzo made mention of the problems that daily newspapers are having in his comments on the last post. While there are many reasons for this, I believe that the "wrap around advertising" that has appeared over the last few months is squarely to blame. Every morning, the sports section in both the Pioneer Press and Strib have these wrap around covers that force you to remove them before reading. It's not a big deal but, much like Chinese water-torture, it raises my blood pressure just a bit. Many times these advertisements are disguised as a "Special Automotive Section." Curse you Denny Hecker!

4. Not that it really matters, but did anyone really think that the Timberwolves were actually going to move UP in the NBA draft lottery? We are talking about the organization that is both the worst-run and unluckiest in sports. They have never moved up in the lottery in their existence. The one year they finished with the worst record in the NBA, they fell to third in the draft and selected Christine Laettner. The two picks ahead of the Wolves? Shaquille O'Neal and Alonzo Mourning. Nice. This year, they were slotted to pick 7th, and (sure enough) were selected to pick 7th. Here's a funny little ditty - the Wolves actually finished with the same record as the Portland Jail Blazers in 2006. That means that a coin flip would determine who got the right to the "higher" of the two picks. Portland won the coin flip (did you think they wouldn't?) and the rights to the higher pick. Do you know who was eventually selected to pick FIRST overall? Hey - Portland!!! And, as mentioned, the Wolves will pick 7th.

But, let's look on the bright side. Last year, the Timberwolves actually selected the 2006 Rookie of the Year - Brandon Roy. One "minor" detail is that they traded him right after the pick to Portland for Randy Foye. Again, very nice.

I'm not going to go into describing the list of bad moves and bad luck the Wolves have had since joining the NBA in 1990. If I took the time to do that, I would miss work on Monday. Let's just say that they have firmly planted themselves behind the Vikings, Twins and Wild as the least popular professional franchise in the Twin Cities. I think it's time to trade Kevin Garnett, blow this thing up, and start over.

Peace,

Jeff

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I almost threw my beer at the TV when I saw that the Celtics aren't going to get neither Greg Oden or Kevin Durant.

Here's to 5 more years of crap basketball in Boston.

tony8489 said...

worse drivers in the world all live in eau claire, wi. I agree with you on getting rid of garnett and blowing up the franchise. while we are at it, let's show the gm the door also. what an joke he turned out to be. how did glen taylor succeed in the printing business? did he actually surround himself with executives with the talent level of kevin mchale?

Jeff said...

tony8489 - you are correct that there are some seriously bad drivers in Eau Claire. The average speed on Clairemont Ave. (speed limit 45) is 30 MPH. Last time I was there I was weaving in and out of traffic at 35 MPH.

On Glen Taylor, my thought is that he is a better business owner than sports franchise owner. He must "know printing" and, as you stated, he surrounded himself with competant executives. With the Wolves, he assumed Kevin McHale would be as outstanding a GM as he was a player. WRONG. What surprises me is the fact Taylor keeps McHale around after so much failure. I wonder if he does that at Taylor Corporation?

Anonymous said...

Hey stop the ripping on Roseville...you are just spoiled, living in your posh Como digs.

You should also try House of Wong...definitely worth the trip. You are correct about the authenticity, but I think that is why it has survived in a middle-class all-white suburb for all these years. My neighbor on the west bank of St. Paul (home of possibly the best Mexican in the Cities) regularly drives to Don Pablo's. There is no accounting for taste.

How is the world of THE CHECK? I miss it terribly. ;)

Jeff said...

Hey Brian - nice to hear from you! That reminds of the City Pages readers polls in which Lee Ann Chins is names "best Asian" and Don Pablo's "best Mexican." Yes, if we are only talking about Har Mar.