Sunday, May 20, 2007

A Few Sunday Afternoon Observations...

My family is out of town for a few days so I have some free time, which is actually kind of strange. I stuck around town because THE CHECK calls. No question about that. The silence around the house is deafening, so I thought I'd put some random thoughts down on computer:

1. I was running some errands in Minneapolis, so I thought I'd park the car downtown and check out the Twins ballpark site before they start tearing up the asphalt on Monday. I was able to walk right into the site and locate the "HP" spray-painted on the spot where Home Plate eventually will be. The view of downtown was outstanding. I stood on each base (no, I did not run them, but I thought about it) and the pitchers mound. Yes, I am a geek.

Also - no sign yet of Chief Hiawatha's bones!

2. Speaking of stadiums, the Vikings are pitching their idea for a new football stadium to the Legislature in the waning days of this year's session. They know that there is no chance of passing a bill this year, but are hoping to "get a foot in the door" for 2008. Now, those of you that know me (and read #1 above) know that I was a huge advocate of a new baseball park. However, I do not share the same passion for a new Vikings stadium. In fact, I fully believe that my life would actually improve if the Vikings moved to a different city. Beautiful fall Sunday afternoons with no football to watch and enrage me? Sounds great!



Now, the Vikes have paid a firm to develop some fancy prints of the new billion-dollar stadium they want to build in downtown Minneapolis on the current spot the Metrodome stands on. Zygi Wilf has offered to pay for roughly 1/3rd the cost of the new stadium. One minor problem - they have no financial partner for the other 2/3 of the cost. When the Twins went to the Legislature in 2006, Hennepin County was their financial partner meaning they are now "tapped out" after paying for that stadium. The City of Minneapolis is limited to contributing $10 million towards any stadium by a Euphorian law passed in 1997, and Governor Pawlenty and the Legislature have said that they do not want State money going towards a new football stadium. So City, County and State are out. Who does that leave - Uncle Eddy?? The Vikes actually had a partner in Anoka County who was willing to put up hundreds of millions of dollars to build a stadium in Blaine. But, as the Vikings have done to there fans on many Sundays, they strung them along to the bitter end, and then told them "no thanks."


It is time for the Vikings to realize that they should play in a renovated Metrodome. The location is great - right on the Light Rail line. Zygi likes the spot and wants to develop the surrounding area. I believe that the Legislature would be much more willing to provide State money to renovating the Metrodome rather than tearing it down and starting over on the same spot. Sure, it would be nice to have a brand new stadium, but I think renovation of the Metrodome is the only realistic option for obtaining funding. Good luck with that one Zygi.


3. I have just watched the Twins lose to the Milwaukee Brewers 6-5. The Twins took 2 of 3 on the road from the Brew Crew, which is cool, and Boof Bonser and Scott Baker pitched really well. Today, the "hero of April," Ramon Ortiz, pitched. Since April, Ortiz has been terrible. The Twins staked him to a 4-1 lead, which had as much chance of staying around as a cold Summit Beer in my fridge. No chance.

Now that Sydney (Pontoon Boat) Ponson is history, Ortiz is making a bit for the next Pink Slip from the Twins. I hear he's a great guy, as was Ponson. So is Jase, but you don't see him pitching for the Twins. Kevin Slowey (not the greatest name for a pitcher) and Matt Garza are pitching well in AAA. The Twins cannot afford to waste another month before calling one of them up.

In addition, "the hypnotism of Denny Reyes" has finally worn off, and he has remembered that he is not a very good pitcher. As Patrick Ruesse has said, "Reyes had fairy dust sprinkled on him last year." The big left-hander (with the roundest head that I have ever seen) had a fantastic 2006, but has been shelled this year. Last year, he was 5-0 with a 0.89 ERA in 66 appearances. Compare that to his lifetime 27 wins, 32 losses and 4.49 ERA. Simply put, the planets aligned in 2006. Not sure what the Twins can do here, as Reyes is the only lefty in the bullpen.

That's all I have today. You can tell I am bored. Normally I could fix something around the house or something, but I'm not so good at that.

Peace,


Jeff

No comments: