Thursday, May 8, 2008

Cubby - La Crosse Tribune

Check this out. Every once in a while I Google Dave Myers, our former High School buddy and college roommate at the University of Leinenkugels. The dude was even a groomsman in my wedding. You see, Dave "Cubby" Myers now works for the La Crosse Tribune and writes a sports column. He had more nicknames in college than any person I have ever met. Cub, Cubby, Dale, Ibe, Schvantzie, Ibe Schvantzie, Cap'n Jack. The list goes on. But I digress.

Cubby always knew his sports. He was (and probably still is) a fierce Vikings, Ohio State and basketball-played-anywhere fan. As I mentioned, I like to Google him to read his latest columns. I especially enjoy his columns about the Green Bay Packers. I know he is trying to appeal to the Packer fans in the La Crosse area, but I also know he is a serious Viking fan and that he would really like to see the Pack go 0-16. It's hard for him to "mask" his dislike for the Pack. Kind of like William F. Buckley being forced to write about the Clinton campaign.

Anyway, through the magic of The Google, I located Cubby's latest column about the NFL draft, and - lo and behold! - there was a picture! Check it out:

That is good stuff. Cub by a draft board with a graduation gown. You just can't make this kind of stuff up.

It was kind of a crappy day at THE CHECK, and then I had to run a million errands tonight. But, for some reason, this picture made my day and put me in a better mood. I am not sure why.

Peace,

Jeff


13 comments:

tony8489 said...

it is uncanny how much he resembles jason rabadoux. do I get credit for nicknaming him Jase? he was in my chemistry class in high school and I remember calling him that before I heard anyone else tagging him with it

Anonymous said...

Jeff - He hasnn't changed a bit and I can even recoginize his handwriting on the board. He looks like he did the evening Cap'n Jack was coined.

Do you think his high school protege Terry Everson took the photo?

Anonymous said...

Bob Anderson gets the credit for the baby rabs nickname. I am thinking there is a bit of blutarski in his look these days.

The ghost of cash ackley....

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Newspaper... Jeff did you notice that while you where in Scotland your St. Paul Pioneer Press was replaced by something called the Minnesota Pioneer Press?

Anonymous said...

Cash Ackley...

Double sauce, double onions on that Gyro, please!

Pitchers of Walters for $1.75.

Good times.

Jeff said...

Free - are you referring to the "demise" of the Star Tribune? Pat Ruesse has been talking at length about this on the radio. It sounds like he doesn't expect to be employed after Labor Day. This is a possible blog topic.

Gilby - You are right, those were the days. Laughin' Luigis, pitchers of "swirlys" -half Walters, half Augie Dark. You had to kill the taste of the Walters, after all. And I still think that was some of the best pizza I have ever had. Yep, good times.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog.- Do you have any recent photos of yourself that we could all have a go at?

Jeff said...

No - but I can tell you that I have far less hair than I did in the cowboy picture to the left.

Anonymous said...

I can vouch for that comment. I have seen Jeff recently, and I can't say that I remember any hair. There may have been some, I just can't remember it.

Jeff said...

Dave (Minnesota) M: Hair is overrated. No question.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeff, look at the cover of your Pioneer Press. It now says "Minnesota" Pioneer Press (or at least the ones in the news boxes say that).

Anonymous said...

Oh my God...He's alive!

Jeff said...

Free - that is interesting. I receive the St. Paul edition and it still reads "St. Paul." That must be the Outstate edition. Maybe be they are getting ready to be the only Twin Cities paper.

Jase - it is true.